• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 axys vs Alpha 1?

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
If only it was a month later and there were a lot of comparisons/videos out. It really is an intriguing question though if we can get unbiased opinions. Myself, I thought the alpha was kind of a gimmick to begin with but I might be falling to the hype. I havent been a cat guy since 06 but I hope it's as good as a the limited reviews out there. It would be great for the mountain sled community as a whole and only force the other brands to push the envelope that much more

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I don't think anyone can give you much of an answer yet....or likely ever

The best answer is probably that we now have the 3 best performing and most-closely-comparable sleds of all time. Pick the one you like the look of, or the dealer. They all have their own little twist, but any contest between the 3 is going to be more rider dependent than brand dependent.

These days....the sleds are like picking the "best" 450 MX bike. Ya one is a little more this or a little more that....but very few riders can ride them anywhere near potential, so it's largely irrelevant. Pick what you're comfortable on from a dealer you like....ride it, have fun, and forget the rest. The days of sledding being a wiener measuring contest of who can go slightly higher, or win a drag race....are kinda gone.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
These days....the sleds are like picking the "best" 450 MX bike. Ya one is a little more this or a little more that....but very few riders can ride them anywhere near potential, so it's largely irrelevant. Pick what you're comfortable on from a dealer you like....ride it, have fun, and forget the rest. The days of sledding being a wiener measuring contest of who can go slightly higher, or win a drag race....are kinda gone.

I agree with this statement and comparison.

I would have sworn that Suzuki's 450 MX bike was a slouch, always ranked low or last in the shootouts, always seemed to be behind in the power/tech.

Then a couple of years ago Ken Roczen jumped on one and DESTROYED everyone in outdoors on it...Winning dang near every race he entered on it by a matter of minutes, not seconds.

All because he was more comfortable on the RM platform than he was on the KTM SX platform he was coming from.

Sorry I know this is a snowmobiling website but I think the same thing totally applies to sleds.

Premium Features