• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 or Rmk? Dependability.

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
I would not recommend an 800 Polaris in those years at all. although I never owned a 700 RMK In Those Years A lot of my friends did and they were purchased from rental fleets. I don't recall any issues with those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My 08 700 worst sled I ever owned

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I actually thought the Polaris in those years was more fun to ride. I never rode an M8 with the 800h.o. tho. The M7s had the same power as the non-h.o. 800s iirc so don't pass if you see a nice one of those. not sure M7 had reverse tho. Diamond drives and clutch rebuilds will be your friend, depending on the year I guess.
I was all about the 600 rmk in those days. fun fun. rides a little nicer too.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Go Cat

In those years, for a guy who cares about dependability, definitely go Cat. Polaris was lost in those years IMO while Cat was king of the hill.

I had a 2011 M8 that was great. It did need primary clutch work awfully early though, but go check out Dale at Cutlers and he will have a solution for you there.

Depending on exactly how important reliability is vs. performance, you could maybe consider an M8 little brother, the M6. Likely to be more reliable, and at this point in the game, likely to have been ridden by a rider that is a lot nicer to it than the 800. I do tend to agree with Jay Nelson that it's a little tough to put dependability and a 9 year old 800 sled in the same sentence. Likely to have better luck with a 600.

Don't get a Nytro though. The stock ones have held their value really well because they are 4 stroke, so you won't actually get one cheap like joshkoltes suggests, and while they are very dependable, it's just too much sacrifice to make for all that weight. Unless dependability is #1 and #2 is a really distant second - then maybe get a Nytro.

Premium Features