• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HE clutching to Sea Level

I

ins0mnia

Jul 31, 2017
Chicago, IL
New to the sport so my apologies if this question is too elementary...

I picked up a '17 Summit X with the high elevation setup. I'm a flatlander and would like to be able to ride near sealevel in northern Michigan. My father in law just picked up a '16 Summit X with the sea level setup and just moving the sleds in and out of storage around my backyard I notice that the power delivery on the XM is a lot smoother and consistent than my G4. I know my 850 has more power but it seems way jumpier and quicker to engage than the XM does.

Everything I've read tells me that all the elevation changes are done on the primary clutch and when you go from Sealevel to High Elevation you need lighter weights and a stiffer spring (my understanding is that the engine is making less power at HE so it needs the lighter rotating mass to get to the higher RPM's ~7900 where all the power is?)

What is the relation between the spring/weights? Does the spring just change when the clutch engages whether it be 3300 or 3800? Are the weights what adjust how high the RPM's can climb?

When going between elevations on both the XM and the G4, can I get away with leaving the primary springs that are in them now and only adjusting the weights? I know that the ramps are different between HE and SL from ski-doo so to keep the stock clicker setup could I just change the whole ramp/pin assembly? I know ZRP makes Gen 4 Ski Doo 850 Tailstander Adjustable Weights, can throwing those in in my G4 fully loaded with weights allow me to be able to ride sealevel with the stock high elevation spring? Would it be as simple as removing the magnet weights when I want to go out west?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The 16 summit x with the sea level kit will engage lower than a G4 high elevation.

Youll need a black secondary for both high and low elevation in your G4. Doo actually puts the black sec in the low elevation sleds but the black works very well in the HE setup, same goes for your xm which will have the black in it already.
Get ahold of Big John at sled head racing. He can supply you with the black sec spring and his adjustable weight flyweights for your G4, they are sweet!

As far as the 16 summit, im assuming its a non T3
That sled will need new ramps and springs and possibly gearing depending on the track length.
I guess it depends on how fussy you are and where you spend the majority of your time riding.

Hopefully others on here will chime in that have LE summits and frequent the hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features