• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket belts ?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I have used some aftermarket belts in the past, and noticed a couple hundred RPM loose. Is this the same as saying that I'm loosing horsepower? We spend thousands trying to gain a few hundred RPM, so is it foolish to run an aftermarket belt? Thoughts?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I guess the real question is if you are loosing RPMs are you in sence loosing some HP? I know you can reclutch to it, but is one loosing some performance?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you don't have your rpm then you don't have all your hp. That is why he is saying clutch to the belt you are going to use. If you are clutched to one belt that is harder and switch to a softer belt you will be down on power if you don't get your r's. If you do the reverse of that you will be down on power because you went over where you were designed to run. As long as you have your target rpm it shouldn't matter. Then it is a matter of slippage and durability.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I had to buy a gates carbon last year as I blew one on Christmas Eve. It performed like stock and held up well. If you are losing rpm the belt is likely slipping less so you are running more efficiently and should have cooler clutches. Engine will be down on power from peak rpm so clutch to get back to peak power.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Just ordered 2 from Amazon at $88 a piece and free shipping. Was the last two for that price thou Gates part # 49C4266. Same for 17 and 18s.

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
New 2018 BRP Belt is 417300531.

MSRP $189.99 and difficult to find a ‘deal’ on. Expect to pay $160+

I can’t speak to the quality of this vs the gates, I just know there were some “improvements” to the new 2018 belt over the 2017.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Every belt failure I had on my 17' started with the cords pulling out. Take a brand new overpriced Doo belt and check the sidewalls you will likely find the cord standing proud. It's a flawed manufacturing process to have a continuous cord when they get cut there is always an end to unravel and the cord is not flush. The gates belt uses a carbon band and it wears at the same rate or slightly faster than the rubber so the sidewall stays clean. I Had great luck w the gates belts. Plus if they do blow you don't have to spend an hour Cutting strings out of your clutches they disintegrate into a million pieces you can shop vac out later. And then there is the principal of the matter after I spent $2k on Doo belts without a single one being warrantied it was time to stop supporting the company that caused the problem !

Premium Features