• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just picked up a Summit sp 850 165 3.0

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
So on my last trip to Montana my wife and I rented some 850 165's on our last day just to give them a try. She was absolutely in love. She was currently riding an 11 M8 153 that's setup pretty well. I was also pretty impressed with it. So fast forward a few months I just got a good deal on a leftover 17 Sp 850 165 with a 3.0 track. So I don't know a whole lot about doos but what are a few of the first things I should do on the sled. So far my list is

Bumper (backwoods bmp)
Skid plate (don't know what one yet)
Low elevation clutching (80% of riding is on east coast below 3000 ft)
Linq tunnel bag
Console Knee pads

So is there anything I need to know about this chassis. Is there anything I should make sure the dealer has addressed before I pick it up?

R

R3bu

Dec 11, 2014
Would suggest leaning towards a different bag than the Ski-doo ones, not waterproof at all, not much room either, Get a sled solutions bag or even Burandt Adventure Tunnel bag with Shovel Combo and make some brackets to fit linq.

Just my 2 cents.

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
I've got a brand new stock low elevation kit I'll sell you. My sled came with it but I'm going a different direction based on my riding. The kit was a $100 factory upgrade.

PM me if you're interested!

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Also, I'd look into the bulkhead brace and some of the changes that were made from 2017 to 2018. Some of the updates are free to the consumer while others were optional and required paid purchase / install.

It's fairly well documented so I'd just refer you to official statements rather than my recollection. There's also endless discussion on the bulk head brace, of which BRP now offers a factory bolt on upgrade.

Some literature: https://www.ski-doo.com/community/ontrack/2018-ski-doo-summit-freeride-update-2017-improvements.html

Last edited:
O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
Would suggest leaning towards a different bag than the Ski-doo ones, not waterproof at all, not much room either, Get a sled solutions bag or even Burandt Adventure Tunnel bag with Shovel Combo and make some brackets to fit linq.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks I'll look into them. I'm not to experienced with the ski doo gear and accessories. I do have a pelican case and I plan on fabbing up some linq mounts to put it on my cat. I might do the same with hers. Who makes the burandt adventure bag?

Also, I'd look into the bulkhead brace and some of the changes that were made from 2017 to 2018. Some of the updates are free to the consumer while others were optional and required paid purchase / install.

It's fairly well documented so I'd just refer you to official statements rather than my recollection. There's also endless discussion on the bulk head brace, of which BRP now offers a factory bolt on upgrade.

Some literature: https://www.ski-doo.com/community/ontrack/2018-ski-doo-summit-freeride-update-2017-improvements.html

Thanks for the link that's some good info. I bought the sled when I did cause I got a 3 year warranty and a good rebate. Will doing something like the grip n rip brace kit void my warranty? Also is there any other brace kits out there that are proven besides grip n rip?

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
No doubt, I'm sure you got a great deal and 3 year warranty is awesome!!!

Those would be great questions for your dealer but I don't think the grip n rip kit would be. The only other option that I know of is the BRP brace they made for the 2017 owners (as a bolt on) and also included in the production of the 2018+

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
No doubt, I'm sure you got a great deal and 3 year warranty is awesome!!!

Those would be great questions for your dealer but I don't think the grip n rip kit would be. The only other option that I know of is the BRP brace they made for the 2017 owners (as a bolt on) and also included in the production of the 2018+

Yeah it was a good deal I couldn't justify the extra money and passing up the warranty and rebates.

I'm gonna stop by the dealer and talk about the bracing and clutching. Thanks for the info.

R

R3bu

Dec 11, 2014
O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
Polaris makes the bag, little pricier than others, but many great reviews on it.

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/storage-bags/2882822/

Thank you I'm gonna check them out.

This is what you need for the pelican case:
http://www.whiteouttechnologies.com/index.php?id_product=28&controller=product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link that's dam near what I'm in the process of making now. I wish I'd seen that weeks ago before I started cutting out sheet metal on the waterjet lol

Premium Features