• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

94 580 ext

S
Apr 27, 2014
Just bought one for $400, my kids first sled, great shape and runs awesome, has 5100 miles on it, any tips on maintenance or concerns?

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Pull the y pipe and look at the pistons. If it has never had them, you better change them as they would crack skirts around 3500 miles or so. They were a great sled in there day. Clutches, drive shaft bearings, and normal stuff should all be checked.:face-icon-small-coo

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Great sled. I personally had a 94 and 95. If EFI you can get 5 to 10K miles on that motor. Ive seen it. As said above look at the pistons, if clean with no scoring or scuffing, Run it.
2" track goes in easily with different drivers, Helps alot.
:face-icon-small-win

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
You also need to keep an eye on the weights in the drive clutch. The bushings wear over time and the weights will run crooked and will take out the rollers in the spider. If you run it that way the clutch will get out of balance and will eventually cause crankshaft problems. This is not a problem specific to the 580 but pretty much all machines. I have a friend who has a 580 with about 12000 miles on it and has never had a problem, but he was diligent about keeping the clutches in good shape and replaced pistons about every 2500 miles.

Last edited:

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
2'' 136 with 8 tooth drives make a great sled. I had a 1994 carb, sold it with 4500 miles and only thing i ever did was rebuild the clutches and put a can on it. I did also have the rear left motor mount bracket brake on me. It just cracks and lets the motor pull up. Ive seen it on every 580 Ive been around. Steel mount easy to weld, I used a piece of angle and welded it on top for extra strength.

Will

Premium Features