• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

!997 powder special bog

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
2 years ago the drive shaft sheared off. I change it 8 months later, and now I have a bad bog/stall off start. It starts, idles fine, but when you ease into the throttle it stalls.

If you feather the throttle quickly, and get the RPMs up to about 3000, then it will take off, and and get her up to 8000 rpm no problem, let out and into the throttle, it bogs?

I have changed the boots as they were cracked. Cleaned the carbs, adjusted them, I can't figure it out.

I have been testing it at a lower elevation, 2000 feet, but it didn't do this before when I just tested it out around the yard.

J
Nov 8, 2013
I have a bad bog/stall off start. It starts, idles fine, but when you ease into the throttle it stalls. .
Too much air, not enough gas. Close down the air bleed screw 1/4 turn at a time and let it run for 30 seconds to adjust to the new setting, then push the throttle. Keep doing this until it runs worse or dies then back off by 1/2 turn....should be fine.

If it's lean it would backfire when you hit the throttle but yours just bogs which means it gets too much air/fuel ratio as soon as you open the butterfly by pushing the throttle. Just need it a tidbit richer at idle to compensate for the split second when the butterfly opens.

It gets more complicated with jets and things but yours was running fine at some point which make me think it's not a jet issue. It just back off the screw because of vibration.....or you could have some gunk buildup to block fuel flow but you said you cleaned the carbs.

You screwed up the adjustments a little, doesn't take much.

Premium Features