• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedo Cable Drive

F
Dec 4, 2013
I am going to have to pull the speedo cable drive out and inspect on both my '95 580 PS and my '99 600 PS, as my 600 speedo is not working, and I havent check the 580 for a few years. The speedo is completely removed from my 580 PS so obliviously I dont use it, and I will be removing the speedo from my 600 PS in the summer. My question is this, if I do not use the speedo at all, can I just completely remove the cable adapter? And then never have to worry about it breaking inside the drive shaft and hurting the bearing, or does that cable adapter act as a seal to the drive shaft on the PTO side?

F
Dec 4, 2013
I could really use some help with this as I am going to try to do this tonight. Anybody have any info? Or should I post this in another folder on the forum?
Thanks - P

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
You can take the key out, but you need the adapter on there to hold the bearing.

That's not quite right. You can just bolt the bearing flanges to the tunnel without the speedometer drive but then you can't grease the bearing, you have to rely on what grease the bearing came with. The speedo drive has a grease fitting in it that lets you keep the bearing greased. It is the bearing going out that takes out the speedo drive key not the other way around.

F
Dec 4, 2013
I am wondering if it is the Key that I need to be removing, if my speedo is broken, on the Driven Shaft or if its the Cable Adapter that I need to fix on the Track Drive Assembly. This is ultimately going to tell which bearing to replace as well, whether it be on the Track Drive Assembly or the Driven Shaft, since they both have bearings.

I believe that the famous culprit is the Key on the Driven Shaft. If it is the Key then it looks like I have to take off the Driven Pulley (Secondary Clutch).

I went to go do this but as I am looking, I find that they are two entire different areas on the sled. So I could really use some clarification. I have the break downs in front of me of these two different areas.

Thanks - P

Last edited:

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
If your speedometer isn't working the key is probably already twisted in two. It could be the main cable from the drive adapter to the speedo head, but that is unusual. I would pull the driven clutch off, hopefully it is not rusted onto the shaft. This will let you see the speedo drive on the track drive shaft. Take off the three nuts that hold the drive on and you will be able to see if the bearing is out. If the bearing is out then you need to go to the other side of the sled and take the chaincase apart to get the drive shaft out so you can replace the bearing. Pretty big operation, Good luck

Premium Features