• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need help what sled

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
My buddy loves his 09 carbed summit 146, he is buying a new sled this year... his choice is 2012 carbed 154 or 2013 XM etec 154. He is an offtrail tree riding maniac, rides the U.P. and Western pow. Could care less about trails. He is not a Snowest member, please forgive him. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Money is not an object, he just loves his carbs.. He's afraid of the etec, and first year model. But he really wants the XM.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Why would he be scared of the etec? I could see new year model but etec have been out there for a while with little problems.

J

jester18

Jan 26, 2010
Cheyenne WY
Sanity, You would rather have the carb than an etec? no surprise your state just legalized pot then. LOL Just messing with you. I would vote the xm also.

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
Haha. See we even want our snowmobiles to smoke in WA :face-icon-small-hap But, no, I want an e-tec too. I was worried no one would want to buy my old "smoker" nowadays, but I guess my worries were unfounded!

M
Dec 3, 2008
Grande Prairie AB
I have a 2011 and 2012 freeride, 2013 xm on the way( someday:face-icon-small-con), the e-tech is the best and most reliable engine I have found. I have 3000kms on one and 4400 on the other. haven't even changed a plug. The power won't have you complaining either. Oh, and the fuel mileage is better...a lot better.

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
My buddy loves his 09 carbed summit 146, he is buying a new sled this year... his choice is 2012 carbed 154 or 2013 XM etec 154. He is an offtrail tree riding maniac, rides the U.P. and Western pow. Could care less about trails. He is not a Snowest member, please forgive him. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

HOnestly i love the carbs too. I ride my 08 800R all day. In fact i just put in a whole new motor. clutch. gears. driveline.drivers. track. and 36 inch front end on. I rode my buddies 2011 etec last year for one whole month. I love my carbed motor much much better. Thats not to say tho that the etec is a strong and great sled with no problems. If it comes to preferance i choose carb over etec but soon i think we are going to be whipped out and out dated.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
HOnestly i love the carbs too. I ride my 08 800R all day. In fact i just put in a whole new motor. clutch. gears. driveline.drivers. track. and 36 inch front end on. I rode my buddies 2011 etec last year for one whole month. I love my carbed motor much much better. Thats not to say tho that the etec is a strong and great sled with no problems. If it comes to preferance i choose carb over etec but soon i think we are going to be whipped out and out dated.

Can you share some of the reasons you love the carbs so much more?

Interesting to hear someone say this after spending time on both machines.

I think its great you love your carbs, but after spending time on both myself last year, I would definitely prefer the E-tec myself.

Reasons I love the etec are:
1-1 pull to start no matter how cold or long it's been sitting.
2-I got rejected on a hard cornice, sled slid down without me, tipped upside beside a tree, and sat there idling. Shut it off, took us a few minutes to get it turned over upright again, gave the rope 1 tug, and it was purring again.
3-1 pull starts
4- fuel economy
5- 1 pull starts
6- consistent and even throttle pull
7- 1 pull starts
8- almost instant forward to reverse engine switching
9- And last but not least, 1 pull starts!

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Can you share some of the reasons you love the carbs so much more?

Interesting to hear someone say this after spending time on both machines.

I think its great you love your carbs, but after spending time on both myself last year, I would definitely prefer the E-tec myself.

Reasons I love the etec are:
1-1 pull to start no matter how cold or long it's been sitting.
2-I got rejected on a hard cornice, sled slid down without me, tipped upside beside a tree, and sat there idling. Shut it off, took us a few minutes to get it turned over upright again, gave the rope 1 tug, and it was purring again.
3-1 pull starts
4- fuel economy
5- 1 pull starts
6- consistent and even throttle pull
7- 1 pull starts
8- almost instant forward to reverse engine switching
9- And last but not least, 1 pull starts!

I just like the power feel of a carb two stroke motor. The power hits hard. You said you like the consistent even throttle pull....i dont. i feel like im riding an electric machine when on an etec :( also i like to work on my own stuff a lot! especially if something goes wack up on the mnt. i at least know where to start with trouble shooting. These new electric motors have to be hooked up to computers to almost solve every thing. (Again not my style) YES YES the one pull starts are awesome but if you hold the throttle WO after its flooded and pull once or twice they fire right up! As for being upside down in a tree, if you wear your teather any sled will shut off when it tips over away from you. The major bonus is the oil consumption is less on these etecs. I just updated my computer to the 2013 program this year and supposedly it has different mapping to use less oil and what not. So we will see.

I know one day it will be inevitable that i will ride an etec but......for the time being i will stick to carb. :face-icon-small-ton

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
..... YES YES the one pull starts are awesome but if you hold the throttle WO after its flooded and pull once or twice they fire right up! ...... :face-icon-small-ton[/FONT][/SIZE]

If my carbed started that easy, that would be nice.

You have one special carbed ski doo if it consistently starts with 1 or 2 pulls after being upside down!

I have a couple myself, and most the guys I ride with have them as well.
Not uncommon with any of ours to have 10-20 pulls WOT after sitting upside down. Not always that bad, but not uncommon.
Also buddy ran his battery dead on his with E start after rolling it over the 3rd time....

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
If my carbed started that easy, that would be nice.

You have one special carbed ski doo if it consistently starts with 1 or 2 pulls after being upside down!

I have a couple myself, and most the guys I ride with have them as well.
Not uncommon with any of ours to have 10-20 pulls WOT after sitting upside down. Not always that bad, but not uncommon.
Also buddy ran his battery dead on his with E start after rolling it over the 3rd time....

I Guess im special :face-icon-small-coo! haha 10-20 pulls!!! geez! i ride with all skidoo guys. one arctic cat. Never over 10 pulls to start no matter what. But thats he said she said. The one pull start for etec is amazing no doubt

Premium Features