• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XLT blowin too many plugs

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
As in fouling them? Check the basics like compression, make sure jetting is correct, and use the right plugs. Plugs that are too cold will foul easily. NGK BR8ES is what I use (I think, I'd have to verify).

Did you just get the sled, or is this a new problem? My experience with XLT's is that if they start fouling for no reason, there is a good chance it is caused by bad float needles/ seats. I had switched mine over to newer viton tiped needles and that cured it. I had 900 miles on the plugs that were in it when I sold it! It could also be jetting though. I don't have any XLT's around any more, so I can't help you there. I always used BPR9ES's in mine, and before I changed the needles, I was thinking about buying stock in NGK!

Good Luck,
Ryan

R
Nov 26, 2007
Michigan
I've had the sled for a few years. It's not a new problem either. I just don't ride it much anymore cuz I don't feel like paying all that money for extra plugs all the time, on top of 3.50/gal for gas. Thanks for the replies.

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
Is it the same cylinder each time? Do you know what size the main jets are? What about needle position? What is the compression of each cylinder?

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
I would suggest trying champion RN3C plugs. We have two xlts and used to have problems fouling plugs with the NGK's then switched to the champions and i can just about go a hole season on one set of plugs and i run it really hard.

Premium Features