• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 trails west furnace

D

Dozer-d8

Jan 7, 2014
Got a brand new 2018 trails west Burandt Edition trailer and with in the 4 use the furnace stopped working. Took it authorized dealer for warranty on furnace and they can’t figure out why it keeps kicking off and on.
When the have it out of the trailer on the bench it works fine, but when they put it back in trailer it starts to malfunction and now just doesn’t work at all. Has anyone else had this problem and possibly now how to fix?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Not sure, but on my home furnace, when the filter gets too dirty, it will cycle on and off. I presume because there is a sensor that gets too warm due to reduced airflow. Make sure the fresh air intake is unobstructed and of sufficient size. Make sure the ducts and outlets are clear and sufficient size for the furnace.

A bad flame sensor can cause the unit to cycle or not work.

Ask a hvac contactor for ideas. I bet they would have some good ideas.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
Could be a bit of a stretch, but with todays electronics if there isn't the proper volts/amps running to the board it could affect the way its running. When on the bench, I'm assuming they have it plugged in to a 12 volt battery or charger getting full volts/amps. In the trailer, is it dropping at all or erratic or the battery fully charged? Just a thought.

D

Dozer-d8

Jan 7, 2014
Furnace

The flame sensor plus motherboard were both replaced. They tested ok but just Incase they got warm n started to act up they were replaced.
The shop that worked on it thinks it could be airflow problem but there are no other cases of TW trailers doing this so far as I’m told.
And it’s plugged in at my house n still don’t work, and there is no filters.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Mine had an airflow problem. Gets hot and short cycles. Think it was running and was not. It's a 14. Took it to trailswest. They fixed it but heater is still nothing to write home about. Mine is the 30k. I'd be interested to see Logan coach add on 75k.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
My trails west 30k seemed lacking as well.

Ordered a Charmac with the ducted heater and it did a lot better. Not sure if Charmac uses a better Insualtion or???

I know the trails West is a loosely built trailer that lets a lot of snow and dust in - maybe the air leakage is enough to reduce the effectiveness of the heater??

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I find those btu sizes and concerns interesting.
I was working in my shop this morning.
30x40x14' peak height.
-20F outside, starting temp 41F inside.
Running a 5600 watt heater which is only 19000 BTU.
Heater size was adequate.

Can't imagine a 30k BTU furnace ever being lacking in a trailer of any size.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Mine if the voltage drops below 11v, it will quit working. Figured my battery is weak so I installed dual rv/marine batteries and seems to be working much better. But if youre plugging it in and the voltage meter in the front is reading above 12v, then idk what your problem could be?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Check the sail switch.

Common problem, they are temperamental. The fan will cycle on but it will not open the gas valve since it thinks there isn’t air flow.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Ditch those RV/Marine batteries and get true deep cycle batteries, you'll get much more battery life. The obvious difference is the weight (deep cycle are much heavier), and no CCA listed. Personally, two 6 volt golf cart batteries are the bomb for battery life.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I would hope trails west will step up and fix this. It has been my experience wether it be buying a new tractor,pickup snowmobile or having a new shop put up that is 80x80x22 for my farm. Once they make the sale got your money nobody gives a crap but the owner.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I find those btu sizes and concerns interesting.
I was working in my shop this morning.
30x40x14' peak height.
-20F outside, starting temp 41F inside.
Running a 5600 watt heater which is only 19000 BTU.
Heater size was adequate.

Can't imagine a 30k BTU furnace ever being lacking in a trailer of any size.

Different types of loading. You need the higher Btu to get a quicker recovery. Not to mention you are putting a large amount of ice into the trailer that is adding to the load.

Also most trailers have 1” poorly sealed insulation and a non-insulated floor. That are horrible for heat loss

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
The rv style heaters can be temperamental. On some there's a limit switch in between the heat exchangers that can go bad and cause the furnace to do all kinds of wierd stuff. Its a snap disk style. I've serviced them in both rvs and wheel house fish houses. Another thing to look at is the venting of the heater some extended the venting and that can cause the vent flow switch to not work properly. What brand of heater is it? Suburban , atwood/hydroflame.

D

Dozer-d8

Jan 7, 2014
TW furnace

In regards to my new trailer that the furnace would not work, we couldn’t figure it out so the dealer pulled one out of a different trailer and then it never missed a beat. We slept iin it for three nights that were around 10 degrees and it was perfect and now I’m a happy customer.
The new furnace also blows a lot hotter than previous one ever did.

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Im in HVAC (started as tech) now a deisgn engineer. Sounds like an airflow issue. Could be a possible voltage issue, but less likely. Can you disconnect duct and run without and try it?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Thought mine might be because of battery. Brand new battery and nothing. Everything else works except the heater. Has not worked more than it has since I bought the trailer. Might be simple if I wasn't retarded. I am going to have to find someone around here to help. Trails west is awesome but they are 385 miles away.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Mine had an airflow problem. Gets hot and short cycles. Think it was running and was not. It's a 14. Took it to trailswest. They fixed it but heater is still nothing to write home about. Mine is the 30k. I'd be interested to see Logan coach add on 75k.

The Logan 75k BTU furnace is AWESOME.
My 33' Logan has the 45k btu heater for the cabinets.
AND the 75k btu as the main area heater.

We camped in it this weekend.
Left the heater off at night.
Got down to 40 inside at night (was 28-30 outside).
Fired up the heater and we were blasted out when it got to 50 in there and we shut it down in about 10 minutes.

75k BTU is fantastic.

Premium Features