For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Arctic Cat: M Series 2005-Current, all models in the M-series chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Currently: Not set.
4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY Tunnel Update with pics

After responding to many nice folks request for more information regarding my post on this tunnel update, here is the same info in post form.

I hope that this will help all the handy, DIY crowd. As you know, to be a DIY person, you have to be kind of a cheapskate at heart!! LOL

To change out the entire tunnel section was more work than I wanted to do for this 400 mile "barn find" 2005 M7. My ambition tank was going to burnt on more important things.... hehe.

So, for a 2005 & 2006 this would be the same process. For the later years, since the rear coolers are a bit different, one's handy-ness would have come into play.

Picked up this cute little piece from Fastrax. It is obscure since they don't even have it on their website. They built a few of these for some local guys a while back. But heck, the price was right and I can do the work myself!
It is the most attractive, easy and least cost of it's kind that I could find.

I started by picking up a stock late model AC bumper from my dealer. Even though I didn't use the late model running board edge and rear foot rests, if you don't have a way to weld aluminum, I would suggest picking up those running board parts from your dealer. They are nicer in form and function that the older style IMO.

Then, stripped off the old bumper. Then used the new bumper to scribe my cut line.

With the angle I wanted the bumper to be at I had to remove the rivets on the side for the hose covers/protectors for the coolant lines and the rivets that hold the rear of the cooler on (very back of tunnel).

Then I commenced to cutting the tunnel on my pre-determined path. (sorry no pics of my scribe lines). I did not exactly follow the edge of the suspension mount for the running board section of the cut. I had to angle it back a bit. I did start my cut at the running board grip-edge where the suspension mount was but didn't follow the edge of the suspension mount like Cat did. This is due to the fact that the rear tunnel section on the older sled is longer, or the bumper is a bit too short (for you glass half empty guys!). No big deal. I left just enough of the running board, where it makes the bend up to the tunnel, to support the tip of the bumper.

Also, I located my scribe/cut line at the bottom of portion of the bumper that rests against the side of the tunnel. This kept my imperfect cut with a die grinder disc hidden behind the bumper but still kept 100% contact of bumper and tunnel. The cut is kept "just out of sight".

Now with the cut edges cleaned up with a sanding disc and burr, I was ready to install the close-out (the center-piece of my excitement).

The ears, or sides, of the close out slide inside of the tunnel right up close to that hose protector, the top lines up with the two 1/4"-20 nut-serts and the four rivet holes that hold the cooler on. Popped in all the rivets and ran in some button head 1/4 - 20 screws (since I cannot seem to remember where I put the gold colored Torx screws that came out with the bumper! LOL)

Then came the flap. Since I don't care for the stock flap, and have used truck floor mats in the past, I decided to buck up and buy one...... from ....... you guessed it...... FTX. I did a little angle on each side to give it a bit of a flare on each side, then riveted on the flap.

Here is a side view.

Then came the bumper. I tried to find a way to hit all the factory holes in the bumper without success save for a couple, so after I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I was not going to hit all of them. So I recommend installing rivets where the factory holes are NOT located. I did use about 12 per side if memory serves. Good steel rivets, not aluminum. Located one on that little ear that hangs down of what is left of the goofy triangle hole and then spaced accordingly the rest of the way.

Then came the foot rests and grip edge. In order to complete this portion right, I had to remove both edges to make a nice miter cut before welding up left over edge pieces. I again had to drop some more coin on these cool little billet tunnel clips FTX made up for use on the Poo tunnels. They worked perfect for my application. This is where some folks may want to just buy the cat edges since you have to remove the originals anyway for a nice cut. I would rather have a little bit different outcome that going the well traveled path....

There you have it. My best attempt in helping any DIY (not DUI ) folks!

Tools used:
1/8" die grinder disc for cutting (saws-all would work too)
Aluminum burr for fine tuning the corners
Sanding disc
Rivet gun (air works better, but hand/manual will work)
Sharpe
Tig machine (for the welding)
Scotch Bright for that satin finish!

Here is a link to the low buck mods and fixes. Some areas I had no choice but to "pay the man" and buy the good stuff. Like the Hood side vents (FTX) since nobody makes a hood side vent I like. The Power Commander (Racinstation) and the sexy little secondary clutch kit (RKT). Better Boards (F-Bomb)

http://rides.webshots.com/album/579143642nSAvEf

Last edited by 4Z; 11-30-2010 at 08:27 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 4Z For This Useful Post:
BigAir (11-30-2010), bornmud (12-10-2014), Carbon77 (01-07-2012), CO 2.0 (11-30-2010), dp2826 (10-18-2011), JohnnyH (12-04-2010), knoba (11-30-2010), M8 Megatron (11-30-2010), madsigntist (11-30-2010), mikew5945 (11-30-2010), mmsports (11-30-2010), nikeholley (08-22-2011), UtahEdge (11-30-2010), WIMPY (12-23-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Currently: waxing sled waiting on snow(again and again)
W A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond reputeW A O has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Just one more way of completing the same affect. And cheeper to boot, thanks for the post.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W A O For This Useful Post:
4Z (11-30-2010), M8 Rider (12-05-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Currently: don't let the beard fool you he's actually like a child
M8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond repute

great post- well done

The Following User Says Thank You to M8 Megatron For This Useful Post:
4Z (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Currently: Dreaming of riding in deep, deep powder!
Frostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thank you! I still need to do this to my daughter's 05 M5 and I want to do it on the cheap. So, this really tickles me, thanks again!

Could you please list the part numbers needed?

I hate to forget anything when I order the parts.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 AM
4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute4Z has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses folks!

The part numbers:

5606-479 bumper
5606-594 right footrest gusset
5606-595 left footrest gusset
5606-490 right grip edge
5606-491 left grip edge

Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Basic Member
Deepsnowisthewaytogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Great job, I really like it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Deepsnowisthewaytogo For This Useful Post:
4Z (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
pitchforkm8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post and sweeet work. I had a shop do mine and he put in a flat cooler that is tight up against the top of the tunnel, I like the way yours hangs down some, I hope mine cools ok!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Currently: 208-852-0400
Thanked 1,227 Times in 619 Posts
mmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond reputemmsports has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default Did you make this part?

Check out our Web site for deals on bmp cans
208-852-0400
http://hubsperformance.com/home

Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Currently: Waiting for winter...
sledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond repute

How much did the snow flap run ya?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 PM
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
F-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to F-Bomb For This Useful Post:
4Z (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 08:26 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Basic Member
polemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Basic Member
polemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond reputepolemite.productions has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Currently: don't let the beard fool you he's actually like a child
M8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Megatron has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-04-2010, 10:44 AM
kidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidrman For This Useful Post:
4Z (12-23-2010), polemite.productions (12-04-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Currently: If it burns fuel and makes noise it has to be good!
M8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond reputeM8 Rider has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to M8 Rider For This Useful Post:
4Z (12-23-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Basic Member
arcticdodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Currently: Waiting for winter...
sledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond reputesledfreak89 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sledfreak89 For This Useful Post:
4Z (12-05-2010), madsigntist (12-23-2010), mp_2009 (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Currently: BEEN HERE SINCE 09-26-2001
Basic Member
WIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond reputeWIMPY has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to WIMPY For This Useful Post:
4Z (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Tonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Tonysnoo For This Useful Post:
4Z (12-24-2010)