• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

change helix Springs on secondary

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What is easier to do?

Change with secondary clutch still on sled?

Remove secondary and jackshaft and work on replacing helix and spring?

Watching videos see it being performed both ways.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I've never been able to remove the screws holding the helix in without applying a fair amount of heat to soften the locktite, so changing the spring the first time without removing the secondary and jackshaft is almost impossible in my experience. Once you've had it off the first time, if you replace the torx head screws with hex head bolts you would have better luck changing the spring without removing the secondary.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I've never been able to remove the screws holding the helix in without applying a fair amount of heat to soften the locktite, so changing the spring the first time without removing the secondary and jackshaft is almost impossible in my experience. Once you've had it off the first time, if you replace the torx head screws with hex head bolts you would have better luck changing the spring without removing the secondary.

What grade bolts? 8 I could take one off and go to store to size up.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I believe the size is M8 x 1.25 x 25mm, but you will want to check to be sure. Since it is metric, I put grade 10.9 in mine which is similar to grade 8.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
^^^^^^ I’ve been doing that since the 08 XP came out. First thing I do pull out those junk torques bolts, put in some metric hex head bolts.

That way all I need from then on is a 13 mm ratchet wrench, and the spring/helix removal tool. Then I can change helix’s on the trail for tuning and such.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
^^^^^^ I’ve been doing that since the 08 XP came out. First thing I do pull out those junk torques bolts, put in some metric hex head bolts.

That way all I need from then on is a 13 mm ratchet wrench, and the spring/helix removal tool. Then I can change helix’s on the trail for tuning and such.

Good idea!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
If you have the SLP Torx ratchet tool and the compressor tool, it is quick and easy to do on the sled. A little harder the first time as posted due to Loctite, but I hate pulling the shaft to do the job. Half the time I drop the sprocket (or washer) and have to pull the cover, lol. I keep forgetting that there is a washer in there with the sprocket.

Premium Features