• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Modify 2002 700 Summit to 159 Track...any downsides?

L
Oct 29, 2018
I don't know much about snowmobiles but I need the machine for an annual hunt in Western Wyoming in January that's typically dry and sometimes deep powder. My budget is around $1500 as I am only going to use the sled for one 7-10 day hunt per year.

There is a 2002 Summit 700 sled for sale that was fitted with a custom 159" Mountain Machine track. Can adding that longer track create any bad handling characteristics or other issues?

It has 2400 miles, SLP Powder Pro Skis, Ice Scratchers, Left hand throttle and handlebar riser

Another option is a 1998 Yamaha 700 Vmax XTC Deluxe with same mileage and price but it's track is only 136x16

I appreciate your inputs!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The handling won't be an issue if you're hunting and trying to haul an animal out with the sled.

If you have a budget of $1500, and you're only going to use the sled a week out of the year, you might consider just renting a utility sled while you're here for your hunt and then not have the headache of maintaining an older sled that hardly ever gets used.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The summit should be fine.
That extra track length will help tons in the deep.
plenty of power to pull a moose out of the mountains. Remember to run the scratchers down on the trail and VERY IMPORTANT lift the scratchers before using reverse!
Assuming the sled has reverse..

L
Oct 29, 2018
The handling won't be an issue if you're hunting and trying to haul an animal out with the sled.

If you have a budget of $1500, and you're only going to use the sled a week out of the year, you might consider just renting a utility sled while you're here for your hunt and then not have the headache of maintaining an older sled that hardly ever gets used.

Thanks guys for your inputs. I looked into renting but rentals are $250 a day for 7-14 days. I am expecting this will be an annual hunt too. We have already bought the trailer and maintaining the sled won't be too big of a deal for me... I will drain carbs and fog motor. I can keep it under covered parking.

Premium Features