• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better turning on hard packed and wet snow

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
I knew my 06 900 159" was hard to turn on hard packed snow. but i jumped on my buddies 07 700 155" and was turning sharp circles one handed.
What gives? I know it's heavier. The track is slightly longer. But other than that are there other things like skis or steering geometry that makes it so hard to steer?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
biggest thing is the spindle geometry..that needs changed first. then you need to confirm if you have proper ski alignment and toe-in/out..also the 225lb heavy front track spring will remove some ski pressure ;)

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Thanks Guido!
Is there a thread you can point me to on setting up the proper geometry?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Thanks Guido!
Is there a thread you can point me to on setting up the proper geometry?

I'm sure there's a thread, you will have to search for it.

In short.
The front track spring should be as loose as possible without the collar spinning itself loose. Just snugged up. The limiter straps should also be on loosest setting. Using the 225lb spring is best

The rear track spring should be pretty tight (compressed), u will know when to stop when rider sag is correct to your weight.

Rear torque arm mod..move the arm up 5/8" closet (fwd), and might as well get the better torsion springs to get the best stock skid setup ride. Search "heavy big boy torsion spring setup" or something like that, for a thread I started longtime ago. It has all this info and part numbers for you.

Front shocks should be setup like the front track spring.

Toe-in/out is simple. Measure 10" from the ski bolt fwd and 10" backward and mark the ski at these points and measure across from ski to ski..the front should be around 1/4"-3/8" max wider then the back.

Camber/caster is the angle of the spindle..get a 4ft steel rod that is. 5/8" thick..remove the ski from the spindle and stick rod in the lower spindle hole..the rod should hang about 3" below the center of the opposite spindle. Adjust the upper a-arm heim joint to correct the measurement.

Now reassemble it all and sit on sled and eye ball from rider position for any offset..u will notice if it's obvious.

GRIP AND RIP IT

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Thanks again!! My search box gives an error????
Your instructions are clear and make sense. I'm very hopeful this will solve my issue.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Steering it

Holz EZ Steer spindles

New Style Gripper Skis / good carbides

Make sure you have some Ski Pressure, crank up the Front Shock Spring