• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replacement Skis

B
Feb 19, 2008
Summit co.CO
I just picked up a 97 Formula 500 deluxe for my son to ride.
The sled is all stock and in good shape but I would like to put some more modern skis on it.
Has anyone put skis from a newer skidoo on one of these? Did you need to customize the mount/saddle?
I would like to put a single keel/ runner type one. My son will be 8 by next season. I would like to use a ski that keeps the steering effort kinda light.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm looking forward to going sledding with my son!!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Most modern plastic skis will offer a saddle for those spindles, it was a very standard spindle/saddle design used through at least 2008 on certain models. Both the original doo plastic single runner and dual runners will also work (I've had a long line of doos, including S-2000 chassis 97 440 MXZx's, and every chassis from Formula through XP, swapped skis among them with simple saddle changes.) So will Simmons. No need to mod the spindle, just rubbers and ski saddles. I'm assuming it has the original 1-ton OEM metal skis now. My kids did well with the doo dual runners on the S, ZX, and Freestyle chassis's, still can be had at swap meets. Low dart, easy steer, good bite. Good luck.

caproskis

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2009
Hutchinson, MN
www.caproskis.com
I just picked up a 97 Formula 500 deluxe for my son to ride.
The sled is all stock and in good shape but I would like to put some more modern skis on it.
Has anyone put skis from a newer skidoo on one of these? Did you need to customize the mount/saddle?
I would like to put a single keel/ runner type one. My son will be 8 by next season. I would like to use a ski that keeps the steering effort kinda light.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm looking forward to going sledding with my son!!

Our Trail X (TRX) Skis would be a great option for your son's sled. They work great on the trails and have minimal steering effort.
More details can be found here: https://www.caproskis.net/trx

Our skis come with the mount kits and you will not need to modify the saddle in any way. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Rev dual keel skis are direct bolt on. Forget what I used for the ski rubbers, but I didn't buy any that I recall.
I was able to run them inboard and narrow up the stance by a couple inches, it needs it.
Got a formula 380 for my younger boy, he was riding it when he was 7. Now 10 and should be able to manhandle it a little in the powder now.
136x16x1.25 track was pretty much a bolt in too with rail and tunnel ext of course.
One cool thing that works, if the kid is short, since the tank/seat is so wide, is mount the foot brackets for a 2 up skidoo on the existing running boards. Much better traction and raises the footprints enough to help with the big wide seat.

Premium Features