• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulling the motor

N
Jan 30, 2016
Hi guys have to pull the motor. Can't seem to find a step by step process.
In any of the links. Any tips would be great.

Also would you repair a hole in the case about 1/2 inch round in between the the bell end on the crank in an area there is clearance? I have the gear and experience to weld alum? Dropped a peace of skirt and it blow out.

Or look for a new bottom end.

Cheers.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
If you know what you are doing then yes I have seen them welded before but if you are not on a budget I recommend getting a new bottom end.

S
Jan 31, 2015
Denver, Co
I have pulled 3 motors now and here is how I do it (short version) :

Remove exhaust system
Remove belt
Remove primary clutch (torque 98 ft lbs)
Remove fuel tank (ford fuel line tool)
Remove braces on each side (7/16 i think)
Suck oil from reservoir and remove oil line from reservoir
Remove coolant hose from front of head (suck coolant out with wet/dry shop vac, this will get nearly all of the coolant out of the sled)
Unplug and push aside all electrical connectors route them out of the way where possible.
Remove motor mount bolts(one on each side in the rear, two on each side in the front)

At this point its tilting the motor forward to get the coolant line off the rear of the motor.

I probably forgot some of the finer tips as I did this from memory. For good photos see the thread by 410Fortune he knows his sh*t and that thread helped me through my first motor pull. As for the case question, I had a motor snap a rod and blow a hole in the case, i found a complete used motor on ebay for 800$ and never looked back. Now there is a motor with one too many holes in it sitting on the shop floor.

Good luck!

N
Jan 30, 2016
The motors back in and everything is buttoned up. We took it out yesterday day and couldn't fault it. The only thing is It did heat up a bit on the trail in but I don't have any scratcher in it yet. Thank for you tips

Premium Features