• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King big twin in M-Series... the right way.

B
Nov 17, 2008
There are some challenges presented with the M's steering post config. and the front cross member that supports the lateral pressure from shock and upper A-arm. Also the geometry,alignment, and center to center distance from primary to secondary clutches can be tricky. However it can be done with out jeopardizing the integrity of the M's bulkhead and getting the engine into a low-slung stance, AND having twin pipes all fit under the hood nicely. We've done a couple now, makes for a super lightweight torque monster. The upright twin spanks the laydown engines in torque/horsepower and is around 18lbs lighter.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 623
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 577
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 534

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Looks good. I'll take my 1000 laydown anyday though. Thank you very much. See you on the mountain.......punk!
:face-icon-small-ton

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
like the M series sled, never been a fan of the lay down motors, best of both worlds!

Only thing missing on that big cat twin is the third cylinder!!!!!

looks good!!!!!

B
Nov 17, 2008
I'm happy to put together more sleds with this configuration, can use my chassis or you can bring me yours. I always look for decent bulkhead/tunnel builders. I've had a few queries, so for those that are interested pm me for details and cost (its quite an affordable conversion)

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
What did you do with the aluminium section under your front motor mounts? And did you cut down your clutch side steer tower?

B
Nov 17, 2008
Ah Yes, RCR has a good eye. There are two sleds we've built in this forum an orange and green D&D big blocks, on both sleds I cut off, then had to machine and counter-bore both steer towers to accept a stock bushing to run twin pipes. We did not cut or modify any factory webbing or gussets as this is critical to the integrity of the frame and bulkhead. I noticed in the other thread you wanted a lower position for the engine.....this current engine config. is only 2 1/2 higher than a stock M1000...not a bad trade off eh?

B
Nov 17, 2008
like the M series sled, never been a fan of the lay down motors, best of both worlds!

Only thing missing on that big cat twin is the third cylinder!!!!!

looks good!!!!!

Matty we're fightin' for every piece of real estate in the M chassis...but...I think I can get a triple in it too using the same technology from the PTO side on the Mag side. :)

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

I'm curios as to why people swap there M motors for a king cat motor? I own a king cat and love it, I plan to mod the p*ss outta it some day!

Also what is men't by a lay down motor?

And do you guys recommend twin pips on the king cat motor?

Premium Features