• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Harley Sportster

S
Nov 26, 2007
NE Nebraska
Well gas prices have finally anal raped me enough, so I got to thinking. Having said that, I'm thinking about buying a Sportster 883 to make the 40 mile round trip drive to work everyday this summer. Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Any pros and cons? I'm done, please advise. Go.

R
Nov 23, 2001
Sterling, AK
No experience with that bike, but I've been thinking the same kinda thang after riding a buddies honda that gets 50 mpg. That is pretty cheap transportation. Plus you can get a nice used 1 for next to nothing. Its no Harley, but if your rinding it for ecomomy, what the heck. (plus honda's are usually faster anyway ;))

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
No experience with that bike, but I've been thinking the same kinda thang after riding a buddies honda that gets 50 mpg. That is pretty cheap transportation. Plus you can get a nice used 1 for next to nothing. Its no Harley, but if your rinding it for ecomomy, what the heck. (plus honda's are usually faster anyway ;))

ditto this. If your riding for economy(and not to be ANOTHER Harley rider) go for a used Jap bike. You can find tons of used cruisers from Honda, Yami and Kawi for under 5 grand that aren't even 10 years old.

B
Nov 26, 2007
the 883 is a rock solid bike, if you get the Custom it really is a top notch ride and looks the part as well... plus, every HD dealer will absolutely DEAL on sporty's... go in there with a handful of cash and you'll walk out with a nice deal...

S
Nov 26, 2007
NE Nebraska
I thought about the whole jap bike idea, but then I reminded myself that I don't use foreign vehicles. Plus, I've always wanted a Harley, and the list price on a brand new Sportster 883 is right around $7000 bucks for the plainest one. Looked on ebay for used ones and 10 year old sportsters are still going for $3500 and up. As far as I'm concerned that's a pretty good investment, especially if they get the 60mpg that the brochure says.

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 1, 2007
Maple Valley/North Bend
It just so happens I sell harley's. And have a great selection to choose from. The Sportsters are one of my best sellers as they get 50+ miles to the gallon and are fery economical.

Check out my pre-owned inventory and let me know if you have any questions. WE SHIP BIKES!!!!

www.eastsideharley.com

Shoot me an e-mail with any questions.

robrocks@eastsideharley.com

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Robert Herington
Eastside Harley Sales.:cool:

W

woodies

sorry big t the price difference hardly makes the sale.a jap bike will out do the harlely hands down in all areas.but i don't care what you ride just ride!if i offend anyone oh well!sorry then.woodies

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
the good thing about buying a Sportster is when you decide to get a big bike, you'll already have a bike for the wife................. Kidding aside if your going to buy a Sportster buy a used one. Lots of used ones with little miles.

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
It just so happens I sell harley's. And have a great selection to choose from. The Sportsters are one of my best sellers as they get 50+ miles to the gallon and are fery economical.

Check out my pre-owned inventory and let me know if you have any questions. WE SHIP BIKES!!!!

www.eastsideharley.com

Shoot me an e-mail with any questions.

robrocks@eastsideharley.com

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Robert Herington
Eastside Harley Sales.:cool:

Does Don Peterson work over there??????? I heard he might.

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 1, 2007
Maple Valley/North Bend
sorry big t the price difference hardly makes the sale.a jap bike will out do the harlely hands down in all areas.but i don't care what you ride just ride!if i offend anyone oh well!sorry then.woodies

All areas huh?

Try resale?

I can get you into a late model 1200c for around $8000. That same bike will be worth that for the next three to four years.

Try doing that on a metric bike!:eek::D

I have nothing against metrics. I was in that industry for 18 years!:face-icon-small-hap

All areas huh?

Try resale?

I can get you into a late model 1200c for around $8000. That same bike will be worth that for the next three to four years.

Try doing that on a metric bike!:eek::D

I have nothing against metrics. I was in that industry for 18 years!:face-icon-small-hap

a 1200cc sportster for 8k??? that sounds higher than camel poosy!!

i own a harley and if i were gonna get a bike to commute, it would be a honda vfr.. 800cc twin.. runs like a scalded dog and smooth as silk.. more comfortable than a sporty too!!! and, id say you could get a good one for around 4k....

S
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
I'd have to agree with OOnight, either the VFR or a superhawk would make great commuters. I watched two guys pick up superhawks this past year in great shape for $3500 so deals are out there. Hell any of them is better than mine, had to sell my Daytona 675 for house money :confused: oh well plenty of life left...... if ya get the chance, now those are fun bikes!!!

S
Nov 26, 2007
NE Nebraska
all good ideas, but not interested in a crotch rocket of any kind. 2nd of all, i'll probably only keep this bike for the next 2 years until i get out of college and would like to be able to get pretty good resale out of it, hence the harley. i don't need a ton of performance, just something that will be reliable, do good on fuel, hold its value, and do all these things while looking and sounding good. i think that's why i'm leaning towards the harley, plus we have a great dealer in our area

M
Nov 29, 2007
WI/MN/WY
Some other costs you may want to consider is riding gear (if you plan on wearing any), insurance, and taking a class if you don't have your license. I bought a bike last summer and fixed it up and now I need to get my license along with some of the other things I mentioned.

My class costs $160, the gear I'm looking at is around $500, liability only is about $180/yr, and I also have to register my bike for $70.

Just some things to consider before you go out and get a bike. Even if you get a bike for around $4k it will take you a long time to come out ahead on fuel savings even at $5/gal or whatever the price will be. I bought my bike mostly because I enjoy riding. The fuel savings is an added bonus and another reason to ride more.

S

sldgy

a 1200cc sportster for 8k??? that sounds higher than camel poosy!!

i own a harley and if i were gonna get a bike to commute, it would be a honda vfr.. 800cc twin.. runs like a scalded dog and smooth as silk.. more comfortable than a sporty too!!! and, id say you could get a good one for around 4k....

any of these bikes run out west??

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
my 01 harley has over 120k trouble free miles on it,[any non harley owner on here have that many miles on theres, without trips to the dealers for major maint????] and most of them are wfo miles. my buddie i work with has a 04, vfr800 hooonda, and is on his second moter with only 20k miles. so hows that for jap crap realiability. just my .02 on it. and sportys are very fun to ride. i still own my 1973 ironhead 1000, and it has never let me down yet after 13 years. our local dealers in wis, are selling new sportys, out the door, for 1k below msrp. fly here and ride it home. they will even pick you up at the airport.

Premium Features