• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lincoln/Copper Creek Bowls and Road Conditions

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Sledhed and I spent the whole day yesterday up in the bowls. The trail in is a bit bumpy in places but is still fully covered from both the parking lot and the bridge with no dirt riding at this time. Snow conditions up in the bowls were soft and deep but excellent.

Didn't think we needed to pack gas.......... big mistake. Returned to the trailers with fuel needles below reserve.

Should be another great spring season in Lincoln!

Lincoln MT - Copper Creek 3.21.18 - 1.jpg Lincoln MT - Copper Creek 3.21.18 - 2.jpg Lincoln MT - Copper Creek 3.21.18 - 3.jpg Lincoln MT - Copper Creek 3.21.18 - 4.jpg

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
Good to know. Thank you for the report! Sad to see it came at almost the end of March!
Also a very sad friendly reminder to all, everything on the north side of the road except copper creek/bowls is closed March 31st. A huge no thanks to all of you who said nothing or did anything to stop this b.s.
Sorry all......Just b.s.

R

rockin rmk

Oct 27, 2002
Great Falls MT
Went on Sunday sunny skies and no wind. Lots of snow still up there. Can park at parking lot. no bare spots all the way to the bowls. Take extra gas.:face-icon-small-hap

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Yes another incredible day yesterday at Copper Creek. I parked the sled in a tree well on the way in and thankfully the camera operator was AWOL right at that moment. Also exhausted all fuel on the day!!

Lincoln MT - Copper Creek 3.29.18 - 2.jpg Lincoln MT - Copper Creek 3.29.18 - 1.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It got some snow, according to the SnoTel.
Was at Seeley today.
Snowed HARD. Big heavy wet flakes from the warming hut on up.
There was a fair amount of powder on top spring snow.
I stepped off my sled and sunk to my crotch.

Was a good day.

snosfun

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
N of Great Falls, MT
I was there saturday. It was really good in the bowls. Then about 3 in the afternoon the snow rolled in so we headed down and ran into heavy rain at the trail head.
We got soaked.
Non the less, there will be a lot of snow up there for a while.
5e11af7c5b3563ddf20d7692e6f712dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Rode up Copper Saturday, still could unload at the parking area but we drove up to the end of pavement before the bridge and unloaded there. Some sections were really bumpy and some more open stretches were smooth... no dirt, yet, but the bridge surface at snowbank was melting down fast, as was the road right before it. There will be some bare dirt there before long.

Copper Bottom snowtel is down to 19 inches today, I think it was 25 yesterday, so melting kind of fast, forecast not promising, so ANY weekday updates would be welcome.

I will see if I can post up some pictures. Very windy even though it was fairly warm. And lots of sleds up there on Saturday... one very large group. Snow up high is deeper than it was in many areas than 3 weeks ago.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Update today off facebook (thanks Carl C)

"I never get on snowest anymore. There is still a ton of snow in the bowls, the big rock in the main bowl is still covered. We parked at the bridge, but it is drivable to the sucker Creek turn. There is about 1.2 miles of solid dirt that ends at snow bank lake. Decent coverage from there to the thick trees just before the bowls, where it is all snow. I think by next weekend a guy will have to at least make it to snowbank"

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Rode Lolo Pass yesterday, still very rideable for now but depending on where you go you can start seeing some ground out past the Granite side...

0504181528a.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm not done.
Haven't been to Copper in a couple years.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Not done either...

Go High Fast and I are probably not done either... wish we could get people off facebook and back onto snowest, and get them to update this thread, if that is where we lost them, impossible to find the depth of knowledge and specific mountain sled helpfulness on there that you can find here on snowest...

We are waiting for the snow to melt back far enough so we can get closer to the bowls and not ride so much dirt... hopefully we can get a road report this week to find out how the road is, if we can drive to snowbank etc.

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
You can drive past snow bank lake and to about where the road usually is drifted shut. Then a little dirt to where you hit the trees along the road. Another week or so and you may be able to make it to the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
You can drive past snow bank lake and to about where the road usually is drifted shut. Then a little dirt to where you hit the trees along the road. Another week or so and you may be able to make it to the trees.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks a bunch for the update, we will probably head up there, just not sure of the day yet, watching weather and of course projects / meetings at work... Saturday is almost always good... weekdays are better when we can swing it.

Premium Features