• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat Front Rails Hitting Anti-ratch Drivers Need Help

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
So Here Is What I Have. I Installed Challenger 16" Track And A Set Of Drop Brackets, And A 2 Wheel Kit On My King Cat. After All Done I Take It Out To Test And Alot Of Vibration And When I Open Throttle Up From Being Stopped Sounded Like Track Was Slipping On Drivers. I Have Finally Found Out Why The Vibration But Do Not Understand Why Rails Are Hitting Ant-ratch Drivers. Could It Be The The Dropbrackets Are Causing This Or What. All Your Help Will Greatly Be Appreciated Thanks.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
why the rails are hitting

The anti ratchet nubs on the drivers are about 5/8 of an inch longer than what was there befor, so you need to cut about 5/8 - 3/4 off your rail tips. everyone has to do this or relocate your suspension.

spomey

J

j.c.higgins

Nov 26, 2007
St. Albert, Alberta
Quite possibly! Did you cut the rails back when you installed your extros? Loosen off the front track spring pressure and put a 4x4 piece of wood under the track and front spring area and let the snowmobile down to see how much clearance you have between rail tips. You may need to trim some off. Keith.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
I Never Installed Extroverts They Were Stock On My King Cat All I Installed Was Track, Drop Brackets, And The 2 Wheel Kit On Back. It Never Rubbed Before I Installed These Mods, Now It Does. Will The Drop Brackets Set The Suspension Further Forward Or Something.

V

vinnie

Nov 26, 2007
Mitchell,SD
I Never Installed Extroverts They Were Stock On My King Cat All I Installed Was Track, Drop Brackets, And The 2 Wheel Kit On Back. It Never Rubbed Before I Installed These Mods, Now It Does. Will The Drop Brackets Set The Suspension Further Forward Or Something.

is the track pitch the same as your drivers?

Nov 26, 2007
carberry, manitoba
it is because of the drop brackets. i just went through the same thing. i put in extroverts with a 153" m7 rear skid. no matter how i lifted the front to put in the skid it would hit. it was as if the track was too short. anyway the reason i couldn't get it up :)p ) in there was the rear was not mounted and dropping down too far while i was trying to get the front in. know what i mean? i know that it is not the exact same problem you are having but it is caused by the drop brackets which fulcrums the front of the rails forward.
geez, that sounded as clear as mud!
clarence

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
is the track pitch the same as your drivers?

I have no idea if the track pitch is the same as the drivers, 05 kingcat stock extrovert drivers and a challenger extreme 16" wide track. Don't think that the pitch has anything to do with rails rubbing the drivers though. I could be wrong though.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
it is because of the drop brackets. i just went through the same thing. i put in extroverts with a 153" m7 rear skid. no matter how i lifted the front to put in the skid it would hit. it was as if the track was too short. anyway the reason i couldn't get it up :)p ) in there was the rear was not mounted and dropping down too far while i was trying to get the front in. know what i mean? i know that it is not the exact same problem you are having but it is caused by the drop brackets which fulcrums the front of the rails forward.
geez, that sounded as clear as mud!
clarence

so how did you fix problem did you trim some off of the front of your rails or what, tell me how you fixed problem, i never took front bolts out of skid just the back bracket bolts. the skid fit just perfectly on the back bolts when i let tunnel down on skid.

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Track pitch is important, and you need to set up accordingly. I went from a 144"x15x2 2.52 pitch, to putting on a 153"x15x2.25 3.0 pitch last seasons. Had to cut my rail tips back, and set sled up for the different pitch.

D
Dec 9, 2007
Syracuse, Utah
I just sold a 2005 King Cat 162.
It had drop brackets and the rail tips hit the drivers, I trimmed the tips back about 1/2" .
I RECOMEND ANTI STAB WHEELS AT THE RAIL TIPS!!!!
I stabbed two 162 attack 20 tracks, my theroy is that in some situtations when you are putting alot of pressure on the rear of the skid (IN A WHEELIE) the track can wad into the drivers and thats when disaster happens!
I posted a thread on this back 2 seasons ago because my dealer said that he had never heard of this before. The response from fellow Kig Cat riders was unreal.
THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM THAT CAN RESULT IN BUSTED UP SH#* (SNOMOBILE AS WELL AS HUMAN BODY PARTS)
Run your track tension as per Arctic Cat 2006 specs.
Check chain case tension often.
GOOD LUCK

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
I just sold a 2005 King Cat 162.
It had drop brackets and the rail tips hit the drivers, I trimmed the tips back about 1/2" .
I RECOMEND ANTI STAB WHEELS AT THE RAIL TIPS!!!!
I stabbed two 162 attack 20 tracks, my theroy is that in some situtations when you are putting alot of pressure on the rear of the skid (IN A WHEELIE) the track can wad into the drivers and thats when disaster happens!
I posted a thread on this back 2 seasons ago because my dealer said that he had never heard of this before. The response from fellow Kig Cat riders was unreal.
THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM THAT CAN RESULT IN BUSTED UP SH#* (SNOMOBILE AS WELL AS HUMAN BODY PARTS)
Run your track tension as per Arctic Cat 2006 specs.
Check chain case tension often.
GOOD LUCK

where do you find the ant-stab wheel kit, I've looked and don't know where to get it. And also where do you get the specs for track tension I was told to lift sled and when track is about 2" at it's lowest point that was about right. I was also told to run track as loose as you can with the extrovert as track will not slip, not sure what to do.

Nov 26, 2007
carberry, manitoba
i am in a different situation than you. i just loosened the rear axle as much as it would go then pushed the skid as far back as i could. this was enough to clear the drivers. you could do that in theory but then you would be having to drill new front mount holes. you dont need to go that far! just trim the rails as others have said and the anti stab kit is from slp. it is on their website
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=2&catID=3&productID=925

good luck with the project.
clarence

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Here is the Anti-Stab thread from the old forums.

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=88&threadid=298328

Make sure to read the entire thing. In the thread you will find the part number from Hi Performance for the anti-stab kit. I just ordered one and it ended up being about $54 with shipping. Also the thread will contain pictures of an installation and instructions. I am in the middle of putting a 162x16x2.5 on with Sledjunky's drop brackets.

Edit: snow4fun on the 2nd page of the thread has the part number and instructions

Premium Features