• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dead batteries

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. I have an '12 and '13 pro RMK. Both sleds seem to drain the battery in 3 month or so when sitting. My '13 which has a 9AH battery had drained all the way down to 4 volts, my '12 had drained the stock battery down to 9 volts.

My previous Yamaha sleds never drained batteries, in fact I never kept them on a battery tender since AGM batteries take a long time to self-discharge, and they would always show good voltage after 6 months and fire right up.

I'm not looking for any advice on battery tenders, what i'm wondering is if anyone knows why the sled drains batteries when it is sitting, it seems like it just has a regulator and a solenoid connected to the battery.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Battery

I'd love to know the answer to your question as well because our 2012 Yamaha Apex and our 2013 Pro RMK both need either tenders or disconnect the battery. Summer storage isn't easy with no electricity near by.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Murph the director of Motorsports for Speedcell Technologies.
Is the guy you may want to talk to. Murph is here on Snowest often. He was a big help to me.:typing:

P

powerfuldodge

Jan 30, 2011
Fort Mcmurray
I've been luck with my sleds I out them away in the spring and they fire up without issue every fall. But the seadoos are opposite, put then away in the fall and the batteries are always dead in the spring and they are always stored inside and heated.

Powerfuldodge@me.com
2013 pro rmk
2012 136" switchback turbo
2008 megacab long box
2010 600 switchback
2006 660 switchback
2014 dodge ram 3500 Lon

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
, what i'm wondering is if anyone knows why the sled drains batteries when it is sitting, it seems like it just has a regulator and a solenoid connected to the battery.

scratchers down on concrete or earth..???..and maybe keep your skis on plywood..

with heavy equipment batteries it was important to keep them isolated when not in use..the battery vents and often the venting gas will leave a invisible conduit from the battery to ground

Last edited:
Premium Features