• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

engine dies when putting into reverse

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
i have a 2006 and a 2007 600 carbed rmk. on both, the engine frequently dies when engaging reverse. After it has ran for a while, this seems to be less of a problem but that is no help when unloading at the start of the day.

any ideas?

B
Oct 9, 2008
Valleyview Alberta
my 06 600 sb does the same thing warm it works good so i just turned up the idle a bit and that seemed to fix the warm stall out but cold it is still hit and miss
i was told onces that it is a safety for the motor it only work at 80'f +

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
There are two settings (high and low altitude) within the reverse feature. When you push the button in it will flashwith either a slow or fast pulse. I can't remember which flash goes with which setting but if you hold the button for longer than 3 seconds it will change the setting to the other one. Try that and see if it solves your problem. I have had to do it to all of our machines.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
On carbed models it is either the idle speed is too low or the belt deflection is too tight. To determine if the deflection is too tight, thread your belt removal tool to open the sheaves a bit and see if that solves it. If so just reset your deflection.

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
I had the same problem on my 600 HO, had to feather the throttle at the right time just as the engine slowed down before reversing. Then my voltage regulator went out and dealer replaced under warranty. They checked & replaced the reverse switch while it was in the shop. Now it works perfectly every time with no need to touch the throttle. Don't know if the VR or the reverse switch was the problem but it must have been one of them!

Premium Features