• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski doo G4 glove box mount best gps

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
What is the best unit or will Garmin only fit in the glove box mount on the G4s? If Garmin is only fitment which model is by far and away the best?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What is the best unit or will Garmin only fit in the glove box mount on the G4s? If Garmin is only fitment which model is by far and away the best?

Was looking at what GPS to buy.

waterproof GPS cost bucks.

Specific G4 GPS is Garmin Zumo 590

Some say to go with older garmin Montana is great G3 version $600

Others say to buy a cheap $80-100 NON waterproof GPS and silicon seal it … will last for a season or 2 plus can warranty it out.

Garmin 205 or 255W GPSin 5"

Nuvi 205W and Nuvi 255Wm in 5"

I think need to look at a 5" screen

The issue is getting trail and TOPO maps on it

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.7334,-111.14895&z=5&b=mbt

Red Pine Mapping

vv GPS mapping.

You can get Federal government maps for free if its NFS NPS or BLM land.
Just gotta know how to change format so it works with specific GPS brand.

Last edited:

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Get an old android phone, install backcountry navigator, dl your riding areas, mount it and ride.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Well apparently you don't ride outside of cell service?

Well apparently I do! Backcountry Navigator does not require cell service for anything at any time. That is why I said to dl your riding area. Use an old android in airplane mode with location on. Make it a dedicated gps. Cheap and easy. Spend the money you saved to buy a loud can to drown the voices in your head.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Well apparently I do! Backcountry Navigator does not require cell service for anything at any time. That is why I said to dl your riding area. Use an old android in airplane mode with location on. Make it a dedicated gps. Cheap and easy. Spend the money you saved to buy a loud can to drown the voices in your head.

Then what does it navigate from?

eyeson247

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2012

The GPS chipset/ant in the "old android" he is suggesting you use. If it's not too old, it will likely have at least two types if not three (GPS, Glonass, and idk the third type), which can improve accuracy.

Other apps can be used, some of which allow you to switch between topo/ google maps/ sat view. I think maybe the mentioned app is liked because they've done the work to include published trail/groomed trail data (which is the local riding area data he is suggesting you download)

If you moto/atv/rzr during the summer, familiarity with this approach becomes even more useful. I'd suggest having a power source for the phone, as although it's better than a gps in many ways with the utility of the apps, in my experience battery life doesn't compare. A day on my moto and the old phone was always dead...

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
The GPS chipset/ant in the "old android" he is suggesting you use. If it's not too old, it will likely have at least two types if not three (GPS, Glonass, and idk the third type), which can improve accuracy.

So a "phone" is equipped with satellite GPS?

I don't know the Glonass that you mentioned. I ass_u_me that to be the cell tower triangulation system?

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho

All phones since the end of analog, have a GPS chipset. My bad..thought everyone knew that.

The dl that I mentioned is the topo map tiles for your riding areas. Cal topo or arcgis.

Backcountry navigator will do most any GPS thing you can think of. Cost $11.00

You could use your current android (I do) but mounting it seems risky... Don't want to lose it. Mine lives and navigates from inside my coat.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
Well, I'm still a flip guy, so ...

We doo have some old "smarts" around tho.
My wife tried to set me up with one to use to check my mail while gone sledding, but I did not like it.

I doo have a tablet for that porpoise now, and I can navigate and just simply see that much better. I have a hard time understanding the kids these days. Gotta have a 60" TV, but a 3 x 4 screen on your phone is OK too. Apparently you're not one of those kids tho - "too old to see it".

I'm not hard of see'in yet, but I was scrapin' the bottom of the barrel at the eye chart on my last CDL physical.
I may hafta concede at some point ....

???

No - I had no idea they were GPS equipped.
I thought that was all off the towers.

So (and maybe you touched on this earlier) but are Wilderness boundaries on your maps?

Last edited:

eyeson247

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2012
Follow up - GPS (as in the system) is USA. GLONASS (глонасс) is Russian.

Wilderness areas - depends on which “tiles” you download. Some of the map types I download have that, some don’t. Basically, if it’s something I think I’ll need to know, before going out to an area I’ll download tiles from a couple servers to make sure I’ll know how to get in/out of a situation. Typically topo, sat, and some kind of hybrid or basic google map. Depending on the app and sometimes “in app purchases”, you’ll have a variety of topo, sat, and other weird map types to pick from. I used to balk at the price of huge storage on a phone, but now 256gb is what it takes to hoard all the map data. I hate re-downloading for areas I’ve been to before, and like keeping data for a couple states at all times.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Well, I'm still a flip guy, so ...

We doo have some old "smarts" around tho.
My wife tried to set me up with one to use to check my mail while gone sledding, but I did not like it.

I doo have a tablet for that porpoise now, and I can navigate and just simply see that much better. I have a hard time understanding the kids these days. Gotta have a 60" TV, but a 3 x 4 screen on your phone is OK too. Apparently you're not one of those kids tho - "too old to see it".

I'm not hard of see'in yet, but I was scrapin' the bottom of the barrel at the eye chart on my last CDL physical.
I may hafta concede at some point ....

???

No - I had no idea they were GPS equipped.
I thought that was all off the towers.

So (and maybe you touched on this earlier) but are Wilderness boundaries on your maps?

Does your tablet have gps? BCN will work on a tablet also. I used a 7" asus until it died. Was nice navigating with a screen tnat size. To really see my phone screen i have to get glassed up and that is a pita.

I have a samsung s3 (5ish years old) that I use with my ham radio stuff that needs gps. The s3 is not connected to a cell carrier. It is just a stand alone mini computer with bluetooth. Although it will still dial 911.

What do you use for two way radio while riding?

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
Been many years since we've used radios, but we use'ta run the Motorola units.

Had some fun with those one day when riding at Wolf Creek. We were stopped and my radio asked "You guys comming in for dinner soon?"

I told her we'd be down right away. Lol!

I figgered the ski hill must be awfully close by!

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Nearly everyone runs a radio out here. Changes the way we ride. No more herding cats. Someone is missing, call them on the radio. I hate the idea of riding without. Btw, the bca link is an over priced toy.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
I seldom ride with more than 3 other guys - on the way outside, and generally only 1 or 2, so that's not much of an issue. Was nice for chit/chat or whatnot when stuck for the most part.

LOL!
I recall once >10 yrs ago when we were trying to make our way through a new route - after running out of daylight in a prior attempt, and we wanted to git past "this section" in the daylight. It was nigh dark and my chum was running point (just 2 of us) and he got stuck on a hill. I knew that by the time we got him out it would be too dark to see the valley floor coming up on our route before pitch black, so I buzzed around him and kept on truckin'. I high-tailed it on ahead 'till I got to and through the valley in question. Then I stopped and radio'd my chum. He was prolly 2 klicks back. I was amazed that I could ping him to tell you the truth.

He knew why I blew on past him (he had a Pol at the time, so ..) and said that he was about out. I told him that I was through and to just follow my track. "Don't'chew pay no never mind to that open water off to the side, just stay in my track" just to give him sumpthing to frett about 'till he got there.

:face-icon-small-coo

We made it into the lodge that night at 2AM, but WHAT A RIDE!
17 hours on the sleds! First day for the Lead Dog light too I think.
They had supper in the fridge for us to warm up. :face-icon-small-hap

Fed-Ex delivered my Garmin texting thingy today. :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features