• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WA needs to do better next year

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
It was a sobering year for a lot of us in WA. The number of avalanche deaths in WA was more than double any other state.

I know I will be spending some more time and money on avalanche education this coming year. Knowledge is the most powerful accessory we can have on our backcountry excursions.

Here's hoping many others do the same.

Cheers...

State Fatalities
WA 7 (4 snowmobilers)
ID 3 (all snowmobilers)
MT 3 (1 snowmobiler)
CO 3 (1 snowmobiler)
AK 3 (2 snowmobilers)
CA 2
WY 3 (2 snowmobilers)

Data obtained from avalanche.org

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It's probably impossible to eliminate all avalanche deaths unless we just close off the back-country, but I think one key is to end the mentality (one that just about all of us can fall into) that "I see no signs of danger" means "it's safe." Avalanche training should focus first on decision-making, and emphasize that riders need to do a thorough evaluation of reports and actual conditions and stay out of potential avalanche zones unless and until all indications are that they're stable. Hopefully there are few, if any, avalanche training courses that gloss over this. Focusing on beacons and rescue in an avalanche course (though it's an important part) only does so much good considering those things don't guarantee survivability; even an experienced, trained group may not locate and get to someone in time, not to mention blunt trauma.

Proper training and equipment do a lot to mitigate the risks, but the number of trained and equipped people who still die suggests to me that either the focus of the training is off, or a certain number of enthusiasts are knowingly accepting foolish risks. Obviously there's not a lot you can do about people who are new and inexperienced, but looking back to when I started riding (which was around Mt Baker), I tended to follow along where other people went. You can see where if I were riding with people who ignored risks, I could have gotten in trouble very easily.

Anyway, I hope the sad numbers at least wake some people up and do some good in preventing stupid in coming seasons. There's only so much you can do, but more responsible riders out there will definitely make a difference.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
2018 Winter Avalanches

The rain crust in the Cascades from early February was a constant theme in many events in late February and March. That unstable layer w/o adhesion created a condition that was widespread at may different elevations. May not have been a factor everywhere, however taking note would be part of your preparation and evaluation of the risks at a given area.
Condolences to the families and friends.:brokenheart:

N
Apr 30, 2009
Worshington
Avalanches - a cliff to our death or paradise?

I wish avalanches waiting to happen looked like cliffs. When we see a cliff we can easily assess what will happen if we jump off. For example a 3 foot cliff we know will result in us feeling a little spring in our legs. We also know that a 200 foot cliff will result in certain death. However, sometimes the hardest thing to do is to leave that beautifully snow covered hill untouched on a bright blue sky day, especially after having looked forward to that day for several weeks. Think about how excited we get when we know the big dump is going to be followed by that awesome sunny day, and it's a Saturday with everyone signed up to go.

Ok, so the avy forecast is moderate everywhere but above treeline, where it is considerable. The main problem is a persistent weak layer. How big is that cliff and where the heck is it? Well if it looked like a 200 ft cliff none of us would even think of going on it. But it is incredibly hard to look at that perfect hill and say "that thing is going to slide if we ride it" or "that thing might slide if we ride it" and get any buy in. So you say it and you get buy in from the group (trust me, this is rare unless there are slides all around you). As you and the group decide not to ride it you cant help but notice that it hasn't slid. It still looks just like we have been picturing in our dreams. So the next hill we decide to test a little rather than just abstain. One at a time, everyone out of the way watching. All good. Run after run. Ten times. No problem. You see the next hill over where guys just left. You go over there. They had been up and down twelve times. Now tell me, how many of us would look at that and see a 200 ft cliff? How many of us would have said - that thing has the potential to slide with one more run - let's be really safe? Well that next run triggered a 700ft wide avalanche on a persistent weak layer 3ft down.

As snowmobilers none of us run around digging snow pits to assess the layers. You can't tell for certain that a hill will slide until after it has slid. After it has slid you can clearly assess the cliff. Yes, there are days when you have more obvious signs and the cliff is more recognizable. But most days that we look forward to riding because the snow conditions are good also happen to be higher risk days.

So what is my point? Read avalanche accident reports and talk about them with your group. Learn from other's mistakes but never let yourself think that it won't happen to you. None of us take our mountain sleds to the mountains to ride trails. Yes, carry your avalanche gear and know how to use it. But always assess what and who is around you and tell yourself in advance what you will and will not ride and under what conditions. Know that you have a safe run-out and make sure you have people spotting you from a safe place. If there are trees in the run-out your beacon, shovel, probe and airbag will not help you. Nor will your friends. Of the seven that died in Washington avalanches this year, at least 4 of them died from trauma.

Is that perfect untouched hill paradise or a 200 ft cliff? It's not always easy to tell but it is worth trying hard to.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I wish avalanches waiting to happen looked like cliffs. When we see a cliff we can easily assess what will happen if we jump off. For example a 3 foot cliff we know will result in us feeling a little spring in our legs. We also know that a 200 foot cliff will result in certain death. However, sometimes the hardest thing to do is to leave that beautifully snow covered hill untouched on a bright blue sky day, especially after having looked forward to that day for several weeks. Think about how excited we get when we know the big dump is going to be followed by that awesome sunny day, and it's a Saturday with everyone signed up to go.

Ok, so the avy forecast is moderate everywhere but above treeline, where it is considerable. The main problem is a persistent weak layer. How big is that cliff and where the heck is it? Well if it looked like a 200 ft cliff none of us would even think of going on it. But it is incredibly hard to look at that perfect hill and say "that thing is going to slide if we ride it" or "that thing might slide if we ride it" and get any buy in. So you say it and you get buy in from the group (trust me, this is rare unless there are slides all around you). As you and the group decide not to ride it you cant help but notice that it hasn't slid. It still looks just like we have been picturing in our dreams. So the next hill we decide to test a little rather than just abstain. One at a time, everyone out of the way watching. All good. Run after run. Ten times. No problem. You see the next hill over where guys just left. You go over there. They had been up and down twelve times. Now tell me, how many of us would look at that and see a 200 ft cliff? How many of us would have said - that thing has the potential to slide with one more run - let's be really safe? Well that next run triggered a 700ft wide avalanche on a persistent weak layer 3ft down.

As snowmobilers none of us run around digging snow pits to assess the layers. You can't tell for certain that a hill will slide until after it has slid. After it has slid you can clearly assess the cliff. Yes, there are days when you have more obvious signs and the cliff is more recognizable. But most days that we look forward to riding because the snow conditions are good also happen to be higher risk days.

So what is my point? Read avalanche accident reports and talk about them with your group. Learn from other's mistakes but never let yourself think that it won't happen to you. None of us take our mountain sleds to the mountains to ride trails. Yes, carry your avalanche gear and know how to use it. But always assess what and who is around you and tell yourself in advance what you will and will not ride and under what conditions. Know that you have a safe run-out and make sure you have people spotting you from a safe place. If there are trees in the run-out your beacon, shovel, probe and airbag will not help you. Nor will your friends. Of the seven that died in Washington avalanches this year, at least 4 of them died from trauma.

Is that perfect untouched hill paradise or a 200 ft cliff? It's not always easy to tell but it is worth trying hard to.

Definitely a great take on the subject. Reading through avalanche reports, you find a pretty good mix of "obvious poor choice" cases, and ones where you wonder if you might have done the same thing. On some level, we are always accepting a risk when we go riding, even doing our homework and making good decisions. I can't understand someone who'd say "the risk is elevated, but I'm willing to chance it;" by the same token, however, there are people who'd view even relatively conservative riding like my own as too risky. Ultimately, the message isn't "don't take any risks," but more along the lines of "educate yourself, think through the consequences, and don't let the 'perfect day' suck you in."

It's easy to see how people get sucked in. It's a couple hours drive (best case) for me to get to good riding; I can't just go riding on a whim when conditions are perfect. So even for me it's tempting to push things harder when there's great snow. I think about someone who has to plan weeks in advance, perhaps traveling over a thousand miles, hoping the weather will be good, there'll be fresh snow, and so on. In that circumstance, if you have a beautiful sunny day and fresh powder, it's real easy to talk yourself into just going for it. "Next time" might be next season for that guy. Still, extreme hazards call for a measured, disciplined approach.

As mentioned, it would be nice if the risks were always obvious and easily calculated – unfortunately, nature is seldom that predictable. Still, I think preparation and good decision-making could eliminate the majority of these deaths. There's an often-repeated quote on flying:
"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."
Although the risks aren't exactly the same, there are a lot of similarities. I think you'd find experienced pilots and snowmobilers share a similar mentality – one that doesn't entirely avoid risk, but is always actively assessing and uncompromising when the warning signs begin to appear.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
i think one of those deaths might not be directly from avy burial.

Two were asphyxiation, two were trauma. While no, it wasn't the burial that killed the other two, it was being carried by an avalanche and hitting objects that killed them. A further lesson that just because you and your party have all the right gear, that doesn't mean it'll be totally fine if you get caught in an avalanche. Statistically, of the people killed by avalanches in the western US, more are killed by trauma than by asphyxiation.

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
It seems like right after any of these tragic events happen, we all want to know what happened, etc., but the details are not always available. I would encourage anyone (and everyone!) to read the accident reports that have been compiled from this past season's events. They are very informative and hopefully will shed some light on what happened in most of the situations.

Though these events are now in the past, I believe we can still learn from the actions or inactions of others, and the results of those actions or inactions. I also believe that learning from past events is the very least we could do to honor those who have been taken by avalanches. If that's how I go when it's my time, certainly, I hope someone, ANYone would be able to learn from it and prevent themselves from experiencing a similar fate.

http://www.nwac.us/accidents/accident-reports/

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Two were asphyxiation, two were trauma. While no, it wasn't the burial that killed the other two, it was being carried by an avalanche and hitting objects that killed them. A further lesson that just because you and your party have all the right gear, that doesn't mean it'll be totally fine if you get caught in an avalanche. Statistically, of the people killed by avalanches in the western US, more are killed by trauma than by asphyxiation.

the mt. baker one, ive heard heresay that it was not the avy that got him (Luke), so just trying to learn more (always). can you elaborate on the cause of trauma? i saw the avy but not in the recovery pics. RIP
it was a sketchy year for avys in the NW, it (fear) dictated my rides too much, kinda took fun out of it. I hope for better snow next year or i might go back to phazers.

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
Here's a link to the Full Report on that incident: http://media.nwac.us.s3.amazonaws.c...158-fec7b5428e0a/20180310_parkbutte_final.pdf

Towards the bottom of Page 3, it states that, "The victim's burial duration was roughly 20 minutes. He was found with a transceiver search, the top of his helmet barely visible below the snow surface. According to party members who were interviewed, the victim was wrapped around a tree and showed signs of trauma."

This information appears to be taken from the form on page 15, neither of which elaborate on the nature of the trauma.

Premium Features