• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 etec w/ silber kit

M
Jan 17, 2017
New Hampshire
Installed my silber kit last night. I am located in the north east so low elevation riding. For fuel I am running a 50/50 mix of 110 and 93. The plan is to run 3lbs of boost to start, but the kit came only with a 7lb spring. So I test fired only with that. 3lb is on the way. On initial start up the ARF gauge reads 14.5 not long after dips down fully rich then goes fully lean. This is during idle only. When I give her throttle she goes right back in the 14.5 range. Anyone know if this is normal or not?

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 124
  • 7292DAF4-.jpg
    7292DAF4-.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 126
M
Jan 17, 2017
New Hampshire
Are there typically much changes that need to be made to the controller? The instructions don't give a whole heck of a lot of insight. If anyone has some baseline settings for 0-2000 ish ft the love would be real

Last edited:

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I am my 3rd season on my silber etec. After 2 season of messing with the dobeck box and chasing my bottom bog. This season I am running redline box from turbo performance and it's running awesome. My advice is turn the dobeck box into wall art and get a hold of Bryce and buy a redline box

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Also looks like your coolant hose is on the waste gate. It will melt. I know from experience. IRoute it between the turbo and waste gate. Then go up to coolant bottle. I would also put wire loom on it.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Put it on the one that goes to the turbo and hooks to air box.

M
Jan 17, 2017
New Hampshire
Any pics of your new Gen 2 controller installed? Thinking about doing the same

Just changed the reeds, plugs, cleaned rave valves, replaced throttle cable and soldered the controller into the wiring harness. Should have the controller mounted and sled fully back together this evening. Here's a photo of the controller wired in, but not mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 46
C
Jan 28, 2008
Nice, how many miles did you ride the kit with the dobeck controller on it? Also what elevation are you running at. Definitely keep us posted on the difference on the up grade.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Based on prior experience, you may not want such a low static load wastegate actuator. Really low actuators can cause wastegate creep and make the turbo slow to spool because the spring is not strong enough to hold the wastegate shut as some back pressure builds in the pipe. By putting a 5 pound spring in my sled made my turbo spool up a lot better.

Also, do not worry about the sled AFR flopping back and forth at idle. That is normal since engines are tuned to idle lean. Regardless of the AFR, an engine does not see enough load at idle to generate the heat required to damage anything.

Last edited:
M
Jan 17, 2017
New Hampshire
Nice, how many miles did you ride the kit with the dobeck controller on it? Also what elevation are you running at. Definitely keep us posted on the difference on the up grade.

i ran the dobeck for approx 300miles +/- @ 0-2000'. it seemed that sometimes it would run great, and other times it was a dog. no matter what the low end bog was terrible.

Based on prior experience, you may not want such a low static load wastegate actuator. Really low actuators can cause wastegate creep and make the turbo slow to spool because the spring is not strong enough to hold the wastegate shut as some back pressure builds in the pipe. By putting a 5 pound spring in my sled made my turbo spool up a lot better.

so you would recommend tossing my 5lb spring in it rather than the 3lb that i currently have? I was planning on doing this anyways at some point this winter

M
Jan 17, 2017
New Hampshire
when all was said and done this is where i opted to mount the controller. Its easy enough to remove the helium hood, so access to plugging the controller into the computer is no big deal and its out of the way of everything.

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 17
X
Oct 8, 2009
Yes, run a 5 or 6 pound spring in it. The sled will run better if you do. Also, since you are mixing fuel you will be fine to run up to 7 psi on 50/50 mix (110 and 91 non ethanol pump). At 2000 feet, that would be roughly equivent to 10 psi at 8500 feet. If in doubt add a little more race than pump. Using a base of 93, you will be fine at 50/50 mix. A word of caution, try not to over octane the fuel. 2 strokes do not like too much octane. It causes them to misfire into the exhaust, and it is equivalent to reducing the timing a little by little since the flame front is slower. Keep the mix as lean as you can without causing detonation. Finally, you are better off to run richer on the top end to cool the piston and stave off detonation. This will also allow a lower octane mix. The leaner the sled is, the more octane that is required because the piston and cylinder are hotter.

Last edited:
Premium Features