• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault vs. M8 SP/HCR

captcolby

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Seward, AK
I am so confused at this point. I have another thread Assault vs. M8 HCR. I have gotten lots of good info from tons of you, but I still feel unsure. I have been reading some posts in the poo side that say that the update for the '08-'09 800's has not seemed to fix things, so I am wondering what that means for the 2010. I feel like the 153" track on the M8 might be more than I need. I am only 175lbs and 5'8". I have only had the 144on my '04 700
RMK, but I used to have a buddy that had a Mountain Cat 900 with the 151" and I felt like I could hardly turn the thing. I am sure with the changes in the suspension and chassis that both are much easier handling, but when you're talking this kind of money, you want to be sure. I am not a big highmarker, but I want to get to the top of Mt. Ascension at Lost Lake or up to the top of the glacier at Lake Nelley Juan. Anymore helpful input. It seems like the SP or HCR is the way to go, but it is alot more money for the stock sled!!

D
Dec 3, 2007
wi
I had a 08 rmk 155 Loved it! I am 185lbs 5'10 no problems turning. Last year i had a 09
assault. Loved it also, I could not tell that the track was shorter when turning. This year i went with the 155 dragon. I think what you should do is test one out or rent one for a day. The suspention changes from the 04 to 2010 Rock. May feel tippy at first but once you get use to it :)

captcolby

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Seward, AK
So you apparently didn't have any issues with the 800?? It seems like everyone on here had horrible problems with the engines, and even with the rebuild there has been problems!

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
2 dragon riders I know have either had electrical issues or 2 burn downs and one crank snap off... BUY A CAT

You can learn to ride any sled but you can't make an unreliable sled reliable...

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'd go with cat, 1000 miles and zero issues, my buddy has an 09 assault and it wont touch my M

Won't touch it at what?

Pretty generic statement.

I know I don't have a lot of miles on my sled but I am at 400 miles and have had zero issues. We have three OTHER Dragon's in our group and none of them have had any issues. I am still running un-updated.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I love my 09 hcr, and wouldn't change it. I wanted the wider stance, no floats in front, and the harder track. The assualt is a sick sled also, but not to convinced about reliability. I have 850 miles with no problems and original belt. My sled pulls hard all day and never misses a beat. Tim

G

glacierbear

Dec 24, 2007
Soldotna, Alaska
I have a mod 09 HCR (pipe/head/porting/lower gearing) and I rode with a 2010 HCR, 2010 mod RMK dragon 800 and a 2009 RMK dragon 800 last week at Lost Lake. We went in from Snug Harbor and had about 1-2 feet of fresh powder on a blue bird day (great day of riding). 3 of the riders were about the same weight and we were trading high marks all day depending on the line each person picked. No one tracked pooched and the machines were pretty even. I traded machines with the 2010 RMK for about 5 minutes and it was a nice machine with good handling and plenty of snap. I have several friends that have the new Polaris 800 motor and they have not had any issues exept for a mid range bog and an electrical issue. I am still playing with my clutching and was not pulling full RPM that day but was happy that I was able to hang with the newer machines. All of them were very capable and able to climb as high as any of us really wanted to go. My HCR has been very reliable and the new 2010 cat 800 is as strong (or damn close) :face-icon-small-hapas my mod. I say ride both and see witch suits your riding style best.

B
Jan 20, 2009
Won't touch it at what?

Pretty generic statement.

I know I don't have a lot of miles on my sled but I am at 400 miles and have had zero issues. We have three OTHER Dragon's in our group and none of them have had any issues. I am still running un-updated.

Ever since he got the assault it seems off to me. I know the track is a factor but I couldn't belive I was climbing litterly twice as high as the assault on hard snow. And the assault trenches and gets stuck sooo easy. I'm starting to get good at pulling it out lol. It just seems everything we do the M goes better... Its just what I noticed from ridding with an assault not bashing polaris or anything.

T
Dec 2, 2008
i got a 09 assualt and since the engine was updated ......... ive had problems with it back fireing............ when i crack on it... Is anyone running a can on theres? Also it seems to be really slow ........what can i do??

trevormezz

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2010
Elk Grove CA
backfireing

do you have the newest update done.
If you had your rebuild done before jan you dont have the most recent reflash take it to the dealer have him reflash it and you will be good.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's amazing how many people compare sleds on here. I will jump in and say that I would run my (mostly) stock D8 against any other stock 800. Not saying I would dominate anyone, but I would say that I could go anywhere that anyone else goes (without being stupid). I ride the D8 because I like the IQ chassis and love the fact that I can turn out and sidehill anywhere. I think this sled compiments my style.

That being said, I believe you have to ride sleds and go with the one that you feel comfortable on. You can probably learn any sled, but don't buy into the posts on here too much. Brand loyal guys won't give up and some people hate because others are doing the same. Do you really believe that a guy on an HCR can climb twice as high as a guy on the Assault? If that happens, they guy on the Assault can't ride.

Oh...and, my D8 has been bulletproof. No problems and runs like a bat out of hell.

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
I love my new HCR and I've put a lot of miles on the Dragon/RMK chassis and it handles great, I would ride both before your final choice, just don't let the MC900 handling be your gauge for the M chassis. Happy shopping!!

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
I love my new HCR and I've put a lot of miles on the Dragon/RMK chassis and it handles great, I would ride both before your final choice, just don't let the MC900 handling be your gauge for the M chassis. Happy shopping!!

No doubt the MC900 chassis is totally different from an M. Its like comparing the handling of a 1970's vette to a 2010. The M is waaayy better.

R

redink420

Feb 6, 2009
Another 1 here with an 09 Assault, zero problems. Had the update done at about 800 miles at the begining of the season. 1600 miles now, runs great, and original belt.

My friend just got a 2010 snow pro 155 800 and I tested it the other day. He switched from an 08 summit. The cat has more bottom end power, but they are similiar in a drag race. The brakes take very little effort on an assault. The both roll over very nicely compared to a summit. The assault has higher ground clearance, but a much steaper track angle. Both fine sleds in my opinion, but I just saw the PRO video and I am hooked without even touching it.

T

Tanman

Mar 23, 2009
Ketchikan , AK
IMHO I have ridden all the M series sleds and all the new IQ chassis
There is a reason why Polaris claims their TDC, Terrain Dominating Control. You can make these things turn and carve extremely well. I honestly loved the power in the 09' M8 but couldn't get that thing to go where I wanted it to. Alot is all in how you ride, a good rider can make a crappy sled look good. But I just feel like Polaris has their chassis figured out. and as of 2010 not alot of problems have been reported in the Liberty 800s. Plus Polaris has done an outstanding job with warranty on the problem childs. - Tanner

Hal's Equipment
Ketchikan, Alaska, 99901
907-225-4257

Premium Features