• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 1M/King Kat fouling out

I have a 04 900 that has one piston fouling out whenever I get on it. Okay at 1/2 throttle or less. Only when under load. So if flat trail, then usually doesn't foul out. Only climbing, off trail, or blipping the throttle. Have friend with same sled and his never fouls out under these conditions. Completely stock except for riser. I switched spark plugs wires & coil & injectors. Still does it. I ohmed everything that you could ohm and everything is within specs. It used foul out on one side of coil but when I switched coil, it is more random. So I am thinking either ECU or stator but leaning stator. My guess is that the stator is not supplying enough watts to spark both plugs and can only do one. Does this make sense because I have been trying to diagnose this for quite some time and no luck. Stator looks good but heard that these things can go bad only when hot. Anyone have this problem and can offer any help?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Every stator I have seen go bad, goes bad completely, Im not saying thats not it, im just saying it ddoesnt make sence to me. Have you looked at your reeds? A cracked reed will kill your bottom end performance. Is your sled a EFI or carb? does it clean out and run? Is it more like a bog> Or does it kill it completely? Have you eliminated everything but electrical?

Checked reeds. Both look good. Nothing broken or bent. As for trimming spark plugs wires, I put new ones in with the new coil. Still doing the bog. Cylinder pressure on both sides is good - 145/150.

Sled is EFI. It cleans out when at half throttle or less but if keep full throttle, then it acts like it runs on one cylinder at around 6,000 rpm or so. I can get full throttle with light load if I go 1/2 throttle, then slowly go up to full throttle but only if on trail, not off trail.

I just hope it isn't the ECU. $1200 dollars aint cool. But I would figure that I would at least get a flashing light or something.

I guess the only thing I haven't eliminated is a fuel pressure check cause haven't got a fuel pressure gauge. Will double check all wires for rubbing and connections again.

Well, found out the problem. The barometric pressure vent hose that runs out of the ECU rubbed against the secondary clutch axle and closed it off so no air go past it. Cut the tip off and now it runs great. Thanks everyone for suggestions cause this was a pain to finally figure out.

Premium Features