• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat Power Valves

J
Jan 1, 2008
Hey guys I just have a question on the power valves on a 03 mountain cat 900 carb. What kind of symptoms would i see if the power valves were out of adjustment and if i need to replace that gasket if i take them out to clean them. Im looking in my book and it gives me a minimum center and maximum, so does that mean there is a range of measurment that is acceptable?

Second of all when I measured them the adjustment wasn't even close but the sled seems to run fine at high speeds so I'm a little concerned about the measurments on this item.
1.17/1.20/1.24
Those are the measurements for minumum/center/maximum. I get about 1.50 or maybe a little more then that when i measured them. So im a little confused but maybe you guys know something. Any help would be apriciated.

S
Dec 17, 2007
I've seen two different specs in service manuals for the measurement. One book shows 1.51" +/- .039" for the 800 and 900 and the other shows the numbers that you've got. Don't know which is right, but my '03 800 seems to run fine with the 1.51 adjustment. The top end power will be affected if the cables are too long, idle/bottom end suffers when cables are too short. If yours is running good top and bottom, then maybe 1.5 is the right adjustment.

J
Jan 1, 2008
Why wouldn't both adjustments be in the service manual. I'm not exactly sure if mine is an early build or a later build, but i'm leaning on the later build though.

And as far as the gasket i don't know if i want to tamper with that right now, we currently lost our cat dealer so parts are a little hard to come bye. thanks for the info guys I will be messing with this thing tomorrow.

Im running super rich on start up to mid range.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The early builds had the chaincase sticking below the bellypan and dimpled running boards. The later ones had the bellypan covering the chain case and the 1 inch crosscut traction nobs on the boards. Rich in the lower half of the circut is the pilots and needles. Make sure you chock lever has some freeplay in it. The pilots should be 50 and set the needle in the middle slot. Air screws are 1 1/2 turns out and the fuel screws are 1 1/2 turn out. Also check your oil lever and adjustment. It could be loading up on oil and act the same as too much fuel. Air and fuel screws are on the right side of the carbs. Fuel screws are the plastic knobs and the air screws are on the throat of the carb.

Premium Features