• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Indy Specialty clutch work on my RMK

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
A few weeks ago I stopped by Indy Specialty's to have my 2019 850 RMK primary and secondary machined and balanced. Right now some of you are thinking...It's brand new and machined and balanced from the factory. True, but when Polaris is making tens of thousands of them a year they are far from perfectly balanced. In fact my 850 motor vibrated bad at idle. After Dan's ultra balancing the motor settled down a Lot. After getting some miles on my clutches the belt is staying cooler, quicker revving and back shifts really smooth. I will add more info with some pics soon. On a side note Dan and his guys are top notch and great to work with. I visit a lot of machine shops and Dan keeps the machine areas so clean you could eat off (if you like the taste of machine oil and metal filings:face-icon-small-win)

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Im having trouble loading pics. I will add them asap. It says the files off my Mac are to big, any ideas? It says:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1280 x 1024. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 4032 x 3024.

On a side note, Devin had my clutches machined and balanced so fast I was able to pick them up the next day.

Last edited:

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have had excellent results from Indy Dan. Especially when working with cranks that have a higher than desired failure rate and other "issues" - lasting longer than I owned the sled. Keeping clean, balanced clutches saves big $$ down the road. All around good idea ! (IMO)

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
1st pic is stock clutches with low miles
2nd pic is machined clutches after picking them up at their shop. Not only are they cleaner then they came off the assembly line they disassembled, machined and balanced every peace. Even though I'm using one of their Tru-Shift primary covers they still balanced my stock one, which was way off.
This is also one of their primary pullers. I would strongly recommend one for only $85 this is a must have compared to some other brands. They also vacuum packed my stock springs and weights. It's the little details that you get with Dan and his crew...
3rd pic is a better view of their primary puller.
I will post some more soon. Sorry, no picks of inside his meticulous shop where he is dissecting Alien space craft to fix their crank bearing:eyebrows:

IMG_3797.JPG IMG_3853_1024.jpg IMG_3855.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
1st pic is stock cover after Ultra balanced. Even the sides are drilled which you cant see from this view.
2nd pic Front of secondary and where you would set your belt deflection. This is one of the most missed items Ive seen with people I ride with for years.
3rd Dan's custom cut Helix MTN 1. They can set you up for what ever you need. Just let them know what your riding style is from stock to full race.
4th is the edge and machined faces of the secondary. The belt fits perfectly now and runs cooler.

IMG_3856_1024.jpg IMG_3857_1024.jpg IMG_3858_1024.jpg IMG_3859_1024.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
1st pic is Primary custom machined, ultra balanced, reassembled with Indy Specialty Tru-Shift custom cover, adjustable weights and spring. I know you cant tell from my pics but this thing is cleaner than the day I bought it.
2nd pic Custom cut adjustable weights.
3rd Good view of the new crank end shaft. This is a different taper than the 800. You can also see the oil line for the PTO bearing that some people had blow off. If you look close each crank has a number and see the excess sealant from the case halves. When I take my clutches off, I usually put the bolts right back in so I don't forget the spacers.
4th I wait until my wife is gone and put my belts (don't forget your spare) in the kitchen sink with Hot water and dish soap like Dawn. Don't get the stuff with lotion in it! Scrub off all of the belt "release agent". I like to use a Scotts bright green scrubby. Clutch faces will stay cleaner without getting the pores plugged with junk and glazing.

IMG_3860_1024.jpg IMG_3861_1024.jpg IMG_3863_1024.jpg IMG_3867_1024.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Info on some of the Clutch machine and balancing.
https://www.indyspecialty.com/product-page/polaris-clutch-service

I don't work for Indy Specialty's. I think this is info everyone should know regardless of what brand you ride. Belts are to expensive now and these machines put out lots of power stock and Dan builds them for Turbo sleds too.
In my opinion Dan is extremely knowledgeable on motors, cranks, clutch machining and more. Have a burger with him and you will see that Dan has forgot more about engine building than I will ever know. While I was there I seen he is well respected in his community and is an excellent example of working hard to "Earn" the American dream. I will continue to send my clutch machine work to Indy Specialty's.

Last edited:

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Is the clutch bolt torque for the 850 the same as the 800?

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Way to get after it! I send my clutches in when they're new too. Never had a crank problem.

I have a question that somewhat pertains though:

Everytime I do the belt tightening procedure, I end up with a belt that squeals at idle once I actually go riding. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Way to get after it! I send my clutches in when they're new too. Never had a crank problem.

Everytime I do the belt tightening procedure, I end up with a belt that squeals at idle once I actually go riding. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you went a hint too tight.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska

Hey bryceraisanen, It's been a few years since I seen you at Haydays. I'll attach a printable sheet that you can take out to the garage when you do it. I also like to use a track stand and get it where the track starts to creep, then I back it off slightly to keep it from squealing. I adjust mine all the time and it keeps the belt in better shape (lasts longer) and runs cooler as well. During spring riding with wet heavy deep snow I even adjust it during the day in the field. IMO it's one of the most important adjustments you can make. Go small when making them, good luck!

Belt Deflection.jpg

Premium Features