• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 bogging

J
Feb 5, 2016
So my dealer spoke with Polaris and they have advised to run them on non-ethanol mode, which would solve the issue.

I’ll go for a ride later on this week and try it out.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I've got 74 gram adjustable weights in mine at 850' it boggs on ethanol and non ethanol setting belt deflection is spot on.

Proride....how many hours/miles on sled so far?

If you over rev especially in Break In it will cause a bog. Did it with hitting WOT from a dig or ect.

AKFULL..Did you notice it also seems to come right after an engine restart?

I am going to try it again, but instead of sticking sled, starting and pinning....I'm going to let it run a bit first. I also noticed this restarting and going directly onto a climb. Seems like same behavior.

OTM

roostertech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
sputter

They must know about this - stutter - hesitation off idle and up to approx 4000-5000 rpm on mine too - 16 hours on it -163, 2.6 track RMK with Kurts' gear down kit - 2 sets of plugs now - gonna try hotter plugs till they sort out the fuel mapping issue - it's definitely fueling rich down low - leaves a light black streak in the snow on a hard pull from a stop !! Lol - Bikeman can - clutching right on now - maxing 8200 rpm - runs friggin great otherwise !

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I was wondering if the bog is an engine protection response?

I've got a bone stock 850 (stock exhaust) with 15 hours on it and I've experienced the bog both on ethanol and non-ethanol. Usually when trying to get unstuck at low rev's but also at WOT on a climb.

I'm at sea level and I'm 99% sure I've got the 10-68 weights in the sled as the sled is way overrevving....like 8500-8600

It got me thinking that if the rev's come up too fast....so in a stuck situation and 68 weights, the ECU may think it's a drive belt failure and start retarding timing.

Reason I was thinking this is when the sled was delivered to me, the drive belt deflection was way too low in the secondary, so the sled was basically starting in second gear. When set up this way, bog was far less.

When I set the belt deflection properly combined with the light 68 weights, I noticed the rev's build really, really fast ....and the bog happened more often....

I'm going to confirm my clutch weights and adjust up to 10-74's which is what should be in my sled and then see if the bog is the same.

Was also wondering if the bog issue is more related to low elevation setups or both

OTM
Spot on. The digital gauges at least since 2011 (rode m-series through the dragon years) don’t react fast enough to usually even show you. If you can consistently see 8400+ under load on a stab I guarantee your tapping the 8600 rev limiter, it’s pulling back, then picking back up. A lot of times it will show it get that high on the record function on the gauge but you never saw it actually displayed while riding.

And yes. You need more weight. With the stock clutching at sea level you really need the 10-74’s. They were back ordered when I got my sled, actually gave them back to the dealer when I installed my clutch kit because he couldn’t get enough from polaris.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
One other thing I forgot to mention.

Bog might be also be related to engine acceleration beyond what's programmed into the ECU. So say your a flatlander running down the trail and you blow a belt under load, the ECU is going to see rev's ramp up super quick and retard timing to protect from over revving. Belt's don't always break at WOT....I've seen lots grenade at trail RPM's so it may do it before the engine ever reaches 8600 RPM. If this programming is looking at all rev situations (low rev's and high), the bog may be related to engine acceleration as well.

Maybe the new 850 is too fast revving for even Polaris......LOL

OTM

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Lots of good points here in the bog. I agree if motor revs to fast it goes to protection mode. Had this problem on turbo. Curious if this bog was there in breakin mode for the ones it's happening to?

T
Sep 10, 2009
One other thing I forgot to mention.

Bog might be also be related to engine acceleration beyond what's programmed into the ECU. So say your a flatlander running down the trail and you blow a belt under load, the ECU is going to see rev's ramp up super quick and retard timing to protect from over revving. Belt's don't always break at WOT....I've seen lots grenade at trail RPM's so it may do it before the engine ever reaches 8600 RPM. If this programming is looking at all rev situations (low rev's and high), the bog may be related to engine acceleration as well.

Maybe the new 850 is too fast revving for even Polaris......LOL

OTM

This is not the case where my bog is happening. It is at low speed no acceleration. It almost doesn't matter because I'm not doing any critical moves at that speed, but it still annoys me every time.

I also leave black streaks in the snow as mentioned above. Another new issues is a loss of about 200 rpm. It was running amazing up until last weekend and now seems sluggish and won't find that remaining rpm it used to have (yes the belt deflection is adjusted properly).

roostertech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
I added more weights to the clutch until it stayed at 8150 - 8200 rpm's WOT - now at 72 grams

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Lots of good points here in the bog. I agree if motor revs to fast it goes to protection mode. Had this problem on turbo. Curious if this bog was there in breakin mode for the ones it's happening to?

That would be a yes for me. No big change from new to 12 engine hours (give or take). It's an acceleration bog in my case, not the down low like some people are having.

OTM

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It needs a cleaner map....that's a quick low-cost fix, so I hope they put something out.

Also - can't say for sure - but from what I am observing and reading...it seems those with an aftermarket can are experiencing this with more frequency than those with stock exhaust. Again that's not set in stone...but it doesn't seem to improve the situation, at minimum.

J
Feb 27, 2018
Ya JF, same thing. Did you try non-ethanole ? Have you spoken with your dealer ?

Yes it’s on 91 non ethanol
It’s obviously worst in ethanol mode

Talks to dealer and doesn’t know... they asked Polaris and are waiting for a reply since at lest a week now...

I really feel it’s simply a mapping problème. The problem seem to be more In the Sled’s that are at sea level. Mapping to riche for this elevation???
Some guy told me from a source that Polaris will be comings ou with an updated mapping... would love to have this news from my dealer!
My consern is that not all sled have this issu... makes me wonder why mine..?

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
Polaris told my buddy it's still in break-in mode. He has roughly 30hrs and close to 500 miles. The scan with the phone says he has 5hrs. They told him it only records time that the engine is over 5000 rpm. He will be getting a hard time over this for years to come. Lol. They do want him to bring it back in again to hook up to the big computer.

Premium Features