• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sks 800 2016 running very hot

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
I had a problems todays with my sks, engine temperature was good at 125-130 then it start running really hot 170-185 for the rest of the day , snow was realy good and my friend was running at 120 with his assault 2017. Tunnel was hot enough to melt snow so the antifreeze was circulating . Do you have an idea of what can cause that.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Is this in fresh snow or on hardpack?

My 18 rmk has been running really hot on packed trails. A friend of mine today pointed out my scratchers weren't even touching the snow. If you're using the pinner stock ones, make sure they're dragging. I guess they bend. :face-icon-small-dis

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
Is this in fresh snow or on hardpack?

My 18 rmk has been running really hot on packed trails. A friend of mine today pointed out my scratchers weren't even touching the snow. If you're using the pinner stock ones, make sure they're dragging. I guess they bend. :face-icon-small-dis

Running all the day in deep fresh snow

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Running all the day in deep fresh snow

I saw that in your OP, I gave my suggestion due to you having the SKS, which has the bulk head cooler as well as the tunnel coolers. I'm still betting you have a failed/stuck T-stat. Fortunately it's really easy to verify this.

If you don't have one, go get one of those small fluid pumps from Walmart or Harbor Freight. Lift the front of the sled so it's higher than the rear bumper. Pump as much coolant out of the bottle as you can. This will lower the fluid level in the head/crankcase so you can remove the T-stat cover without spilling anti-freeze all over.

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
thanks I will check that thermostat first, hope running half day at those temp did not damage the engine.

You should be OK, Poo states the T-stat starts opening at around 120-122 and is fully open at 145. Found this info in the owner's manual in the specifications section. The sled will protect itself if it gets to hot, which is around 205+ temps. This info is also in the owner's manual.

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
just removed the t-stat and the washer and spring for recirculation came off.
How can I fix that if I want to ride it tomorrow. The new one is on order.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I gutted my Assault t-stat, it ran a bit cooler and didn’t cold seize.
Never started it and WOT before letting it idle a bit after a hot restart.
Not sure if it’s a good idea to do this, but I ran my sled like that for a few years with no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
Ok i remove the thermostats, just keeping the ring to make the seal and the engine is running at 80-85°f , do you think this is too cold for the engine. ??

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I’m running and SLP head with the 18’ T-Stat. 95’ all day long I do use my scratchers on the trail. IMHO it is a great upgrade. The stock scratchers are weak I broke 2 all on the right side, which makes it fun in the spring and the snow sets up.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Ok i remove the thermostats, just keeping the ring to make the seal and the engine is running at 80-85°f , do you think this is too cold for the engine. ??

Is that just idle? I bet it gets warmer when riding..
Just let it warm up before WOT should be ok until your replacement shows up

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Drill some holes in the diaphragm so that you get improved coolant circulation, and put it back in. Make sure you don't leave any small pieces of metal hanging onto the holes you just drilled. This will also cause the thermostat to open sooner because the coil is usually on the cold side of the thermostat diaphragm.

Premium Features