• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Powervalve issues. Help!

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
So my 2008 M1000 backup sled is having powervalve issues. They are not opening. I have replaced the servo motor (twice), new ecu, new harness from ecu to servo motor, added extra ground from frame to ecu I am at a complete loss. I don't even know where to go next. It starts retarding timing around 6000-6200rpm and the servo-motor(s) just do not rotate. Any ideas? I am about to start parting it out, but it is a ripper and runs awesome up until 6K. I hate to do that.... I cannot find wiring diagrams anywhere on the internet. I even thought about getting the BDX powervalve delete for $199, but I don't know that the little chip that comes in the kit to fool the ecu would work properly since it's not telling the motor to spin. Hate wasting that money.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
So just the obvious no shorted hand grips no rub harness by the steering post and even more important underneath the oil tank where the line goes to the tail light wires get pinched between the tunnel and get rub through which would cause a short. this would draw enough from the stator to not leave enough power to run the servo.
you can all way check the servo motor with a 12 battery for function and a jumper to the pins but you should know what your doing.

Last edited:
R
Does the servo move once the engine is started? If you are looking at it, it will be moving left to right. If the motor is not working properly or the cables are out of length, the servo will move 3 times.
Is that happening?
Do you have the cables hooked in properly, in the right direction, in the right spaces? I had a dealer once that replaced a cable for me and it was installed totally wrong. It was in the wrong direction.
Can you pull the cables freely when they are not in the servo?

Last edited:

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
So just the obvious no shorted hand grips no rub harness by the steering post and even more important underneath the oil tank where the line goes to the tail light wires get pinched between the tunnel and get rub through which would cause a short. this would draw enough from the stator to not leave enough power to run the servo.
you can all way check the servo motor with a 12 battery for function and a jumper to the pins but you should know what your doing.

I did bench-test both servo motors I have and they seem fine. I guess I will start tearing it apart and looks for shorts elsewhere. Everything seems to work fine though except for the servo motor, but if another short would rob stator power I will go that direction. If I could figure out the schematics (which I did find) I would test voltage to the plug when running. It shows a:

Ground
APV Servo +
APV Servo DC+
APV Servo DC-
APV Servo Signal

Confused between the + and the DC + and DC -.

Hate spending money on the old girl, but I would love to throw the BDX delete on it. Just not sure the chip would fool the computer. I don't think it would in the current state.

Last edited:

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
stm pv's...

I have run them in the past. Sled wont have as crisp of bottom end and gas mileage got worse. be sure your pv cables are adjusted properly and have the proper pull as previously stated (i have seen many get into the pipe and get melted around the inner cable and bind it up) if it doesn't have the proper amount of pull the pv's won't open

Premium Features