• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel issues 2013 T-

C
May 19, 2008
Rogers, MN
Has cat come out with a recall on this yet?

sled is running empty even though it only takes 5 gallons to fill tank to the neck.

Pick up issue.

I have seen some modifications to fix this by cutting moveing/adding a tee and bending the hose downward.

but

Cant I just add a couple of stainless nuts to each of the fuel pick ups to insure they stay down?

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
One thing to consider with these Smart Valves is that if they suck some water, they shut themselves off.

I had the same issue last year, took it to the dealer. When they dumped the tank there was water in the tank and that had closed the Smart Valves.

They were able to show me the water in the gas they had removed, and I never had another problem.

I make sure I add Isopropyl to the fuel

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Did the fuel pickup mod last fall. It consists of removing tank pulling pump and pickup assembly. Where the back two hook into the front one there is a pin that gets pushed into the 90 elbow that all your fuel must travel through. The pin gets pushed in when the front pickup closes. You remove the hose plug off that tee and place a new tee up above the first pickup thus requiring a bend in that tube with some heat on it to bend it. The pin inside the tiny tee is what supposedly causes the starvation problem. Thought someone posted a pic of this over here but the thread was originally on HCS.

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
I have this issue too. Dealer says Cat has no knowledge of this yet I know they sent some different pickup springs to test at another shop out East. Others have said Cat knows and there is a bulletin. If anyone knows of this mysterious bulletin, please send my way.

A few were successful in eliminating the issue by moving the front pickup to the back and one back to the front.

K

Koby

Nov 26, 2007
Saddle Hills
Did the fuel pickup mod last fall. It consists of removing tank pulling pump and pickup assembly. Where the back two hook into the front one there is a pin that gets pushed into the 90 elbow that all your fuel must travel through. The pin gets pushed in when the front pickup closes. You remove the hose plug off that tee and place a new tee up above the first pickup thus requiring a bend in that tube with some heat on it to bend it. The pin inside the tiny tee is what supposedly causes the starvation problem. Thought someone posted a pic of this over here but the thread was originally on HCS.

Looked for this thread over at HCS and no luck finding it.
I'm sure it will make more sense once I take it apart.

Premium Features