• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 D8 weird running issue, need help!

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
My dragon started having problems this past weekend. i have been doing a lot of reading about voltage regulator failure symptoms etc and my problem doesn't exactly sound the same. Here is what happened:

Sled has a SLP stage 3 kit and has run great up to this point. I was boondocking and suddenly it started to stumble and studder, lost power. Temp was about 110. Felt like a fouled plug or something. No flashing or codes on the dash. Headlights normal etc. (I have noticed recently that the dash display flashes at idle like it does at start up, almost like the voltage is diving too low at idle.)
I pulled the plugs and they were plenty rich, no signs of a meltdown on them. I put new plugs in and cut back the plug wires in the boots to make sure they were good. No change. I checked for spark and both plugs were sparking fine. The mag side seemed to be overfueling as the plug was wet when we kept pulling it out to look. We started the engine with one plug in at a time and the engine ran the same on each cylinder, so both were working. It ran slightly better with both plugs installed but still not right, down on power and running as if in limp mode, still no codes. I limped the sled in to the truck about 8 miles. It ran the same all the way, never quit on me. After the 8 mile ride back to the truck the PTO side piston and plug looked normal and the mag side looked rich and overfueled.
I guess I'll check the stator specs, perhaps check the voltage relay and voltage regulator, capacitor and ECU. Also check compression. I didn't see any piston detonation signs on the piston crowns nor scuffing when looking down the exhaust valve holes.
My friend has the same sled as mine at my house and said I could use parts off his sled to troubleshoot mine.

Any advice?

Update: Discovered electrical was not the problem, had a broke off reed petal on the V Force 3, center section, Mag cylinder. Caused some piston scuffing right in front of the missing petal.

Last edited:

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Definitely check compression. If you dont have a compression tester handy pull the exhaust valves and look at the pistons.

Premium Features