• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ECU Burn Down

D

dgwarr69

Feb 22, 2009
Trout Lake, WA
I have an 07 M8 with 3000 miles. Out of the blue, ECU burns up. Pulled it all apart today and cant figure out what caused it. It is a part # 3007-347, square model. We found that whatever the component is in the corner right next to the altitude compensator, opposite the side you plug is what melted. The number on the burnt component (as best we can tell) is BX9020H. The only suspect thing we found is that one of the four coils is no longer tightly mounted to the frame. Or is this something that can just happen. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance. So looking for a new ECU. HELP.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I found that on my 07 M8 at about 3000 miles or so that wires were beginning to rub though the protective looms and sheathing in many locations. Here is a list of suspect spots.

1. On either side on the plug that goes to the CCU from the ECU. Mine had a nick and melted the plug together. The sign was the gauge would flash on and off.

2. The wires that go to the reverse motor on the diamond drive were it is routed though the foot well.

3. The wires under the tank.

4. The wires that go to the brake light.

5. The wires that go to power valve servo motor. My brother's sled shorted here and burn up the ECU took us along time to find as the rub in the wire was very small.

Finding the short is difficult and timely. Sometimes they are not obvious.

You may also want to check over the coolant line as mine was almost wore though at the recoil location.

Good luck,

Jason

D
Jan 8, 2019
I have an 07 M8 with 3000 miles. Out of the blue, ECU burns up. Pulled it all apart today and cant figure out what caused it. It is a part # 3007-347, square model. We found that whatever the component is in the corner right next to the altitude compensator, opposite the side you plug is what melted. The number on the burnt component (as best we can tell) is BX9020H. The only suspect thing we found is that one of the four coils is no longer tightly mounted to the frame. Or is this something that can just happen. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance. So looking for a new ECU. HELP.

Total shot in the dark here since post is 9 years old.. but my 07 F8 just had the same exact component fry on the ECU this weekend. Did it end up being the harness or ground?

Premium Features