• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stuck primary!

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
We have a 13' Pro at the dealer for a clutch rebuild and they can't get the primary off. Tried the water trick using water and even oil. Any body have any ideas?

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I’ve heard of guys filling it with water and leaving it outside over night, and waking up to it laying on the ground. That’s if it cold enough to do so.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I had 2 clutches snap in half while I was trying to remove. The one was the original clutch under warranty so I let the dealer deal with it and they cut into the crank trying to cut off the stub. Anyway they bought the sled and gave me a deal on a snowcheck. Moral of the story. I like letting the dealer remove the clutch for me any time my sled is in for anything else.

Try the water trick again and pour boiling water over the clutch. It helps it expand to loosen.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Tighten the puller in tight and hit it on the end with a hammer. I don't recommend an air wrench because I used one on mine and the crank snapped through the snout 200 miles later.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
We have a 13' Pro at the dealer for a clutch rebuild and they can't get the primary off. Tried the water trick using water and even oil. Any body have any ideas?

Thread in the puller as tight as you can. If tapping on the puller doesn't break it loose then apply some heat with a heat gun on the center shaft of the clutch beside the inner sheave. Rotate the clutch once in a while so it heats evenly. It should come off when it expands a bit. Hopefully the clutch didn't spin on the taper and weld itself. If that's the case then you probably have to cut it off.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Thanks. The shop was able to rebuild it without taking it off. Not sure how but they did. Now they find that one cylinder is down to 100# compression and scored. :-( 84 hours on a "Fix Kit" and it has to be redone....again. 2417 miles on the sled and will be on it's third motor. Thinking that it's time to sell or trade and go a different direction. :-(

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
your getting taken for a ride and you need a new shop. the one you are using is full of crap and can't even perform the simple task of removing a clutch, they gave up on it and told you some b/s about doing the job without doing the job ? the problem is not with the sled !
i just an old mechanics opinion take it for what it's worth

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
your getting taken for a ride and you need a new shop. the one you are using is full of crap and can't even perform the simple task of removing a clutch, they gave up on it and told you some b/s about doing the job without doing the job ? the problem is not with the sled !
i just an old mechanics opinion take it for what it's worth

Exactly my thoughts too!

If the dealer cant get a clutch off a sled, thats a big red flag and your invention to get your sled the hell out of there!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I find it hard to believe that water wont work... My dealer once did some crazy stuff trying to get my primary off my 900 some years back and they suggested cutting it off because they couldn't get it no matter what they tried. I used water and had it off in about 10 minutes.... it made one hell of a bang when it let loose! The service manager almost passed out when I walked back in with the clutch in my hand 45 minutes after picking up the sled and driving across town to home and back.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If a clutch has spun and welded itself to the stub the water trick may not work. Sure if you can get a good enough seal and can crank hard enough something should give but it can rio the clutch in half.

Make sure you re-torque after a few good revs and keep the stubs clean to avoid spinning and welding.

Premium Features