• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New stator, no dash at idle

Nov 19, 2015
My dash turns off when the sled is idling, but turns on when the smallest amount of throttle is applied. The headlight remains on at idle. The sled idles around 1400 (I think, I can't exactly see), when the RPM is 1500 the dash turns on but blinks low voltage.

I just replaced the stator with a brand new aftermarket stator, but the tolerances aren't quite as tight as the manual. I found the stator on eBay and the description is copied and pasted from rmstators website, so I figured it was from quality from rmstator as I’ve read on here.

The sled runs great with the new stator. I put 10 miles on the sled before the dash cut out at idle, before that the dash was working like normal. I’m looking for suggestions on what to try next. Try a different stator or did something else fail in 10 miles?

Link to stator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stator-For...ash=item36242f983c:g:NkQAAOSwAHBaAbfS&vxp=mtr

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Sounds like a capacitor issue to me.

Read the stickies in testing it. It’s super easy and shows immediate defect or not. They are super easy to find and replace.

Nov 19, 2015
Thanks guido and pop,

I tested the capacitor, it's all good. I ran 12vdc through the chasis relay, it clicks opening the circuit and the circuit doesn't have any resistance, so it's all good.

I re-cleaned the ground, checked all the wires I could see, unplugged hand warmers/brake light/kill switch, even retested the stator, but nothing.

Dash flashes on when it first turns over, but isn't on at idle. Any other ideas?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Maybe not your problem but the spec for idle rpm is 1700 plus or minus 200 so you are a but low. What AC voltage do you read on the yellow to ground at idle?

Nov 19, 2015
Maybe not your problem but the spec for idle rpm is 1700 plus or minus 200 so you are a but low. What AC voltage do you read on the yellow to ground at idle?

The 05 manual for the 900 says 1400 rpm +- 200. And I believe the only way to change the idle rpm is by resetting the TPS. Am I wrong about this?

Are you talking about measuring the voltage from the yellow wires from the stator while idling? Or what yellow wire?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The 05 manual for the 900 says 1400 rpm +- 200. And I believe the only way to change the idle rpm is by resetting the TPS. Am I wrong about this?

Are you talking about measuring the voltage from the yellow wires from the stator while idling? Or what yellow wire?

Yes you have to reset the TPS idle voltage. I didn't realize the 05 was a different idle speed from the 06. It makes me wonder why the difference though because the idle screw on the throttle bodies should be set for .920 to .940 volts with .930 being the target for both years.

Yes measure on the yellow wires from the stator. If you can get one probe of the meter bridged onto the wire without disconnecting the connector that would be good.

Nov 19, 2015
Yes measure on the yellow wires from the stator. If you can get one probe of the meter bridged onto the wire without disconnecting the connector that would be good.

Any recommendation on how to get to the stator connectors with the gas tank connected? Do we know what voltage the stator should send through these yellow wires?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2015
Voltage from yellow stator wires

Sorry pop, I figured it out. I was able to force in small wire leads from a bread board into the back of the yellow stator wire connection and up next to the coolant.

All yellow wires at idle read right around 9v +- 0.2. They increase voltage with some throttle. I'm not sure what the voltage should read, but I read another post that someone was getting 15v from each wire.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I don't know if that is the right voltage or not as I have never read at that point. It's good they are all the same. I just looked at the wiring diagram for my sled and it has the 3 yellows coming out of the stator. I will have a check tomorrow for the voltage I see on those wires. It's a 2010 sled but the stator configuration looks to be identical to what yours is.

Nov 19, 2015
I also read the voltage on the 3 prong plug (only the outside two ports are used, red and brown wires) in front of the steering post, next to the oil. I believe this is a 12 vdc accessory connection, but I haven't been able to confirm this. It read 7.5 vdc +- 0.1 at idle. Does anyone know what (dc?) voltage this should read?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I read my voltages today. Yellow to yellow was 10.3 to 11 VAC but mostly around 10.6 volts. Going through all combinations they were consistently the same no matter which yellow wire to yellow wire I read. Voltage did not increase with rpm. Reading the brown to red I measured 14.7 VDC at idle and again it did not increase when rpm was increased. You mentioned your stator resistances were a bit different from the stock but I don't know if that could be the cause. All I can suggest is to get hold of the aftermarket stator vendor to see what they have to say.

Nov 19, 2015
Thank you very much for testing that pop. I measured from the ground to each yellow wire, must not make a difference? Makes sense that it would be the stator, not enough voltage generated at idle for whatever reason, but enough with higher rpms to light up the dash.

Luckily, I ordered another stator when I first found the problem, thinking it had to be the replacement part that failed during the first 10 miles. Well it showed up this afternoon. This time I bought a used OEM stator. All the resistances were spot on to the manual.

I swapped in the new stator. I only ran it for 10 seconds, but the dash was on at idle! I forgot to check the voltage from the yellow stator wires before I refitted the tank, but I will next time I have it apart. I plan on riding it this weekend and will report back.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Last edited:
Premium Features