• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Accidentally a 133"?

F
Dec 4, 2013
I have installed a newer track on my sled, 95 580 Powder Special. After I installed the track, it doesnt seem to want to move at all when I try to move it with my hands, I have installed tracks on this sled before and they seem to be able to move by using my hands after previous installations. Of course I am trying to move the track when the sled is suspended in the air. Its all stock. My question is this, can a 133" actually even fit on a 136" suspension? If so, could I have accidentally gotten a 133" and done a complete installation? Or would the 133" not even let me bolt everything back together? Also, Before installing, I did compare the one I took off the sled to the one I was installing and didnt see a difference in length at all.
Thanks - P

F
Dec 4, 2013
Update

So, Thank you to IDCATMAN1 for help through a PM on this issue. Heres an update: 1, I do have plenty of slack in the track, i just CAN'T seem to move it with my hands when I push or pull on the track, and when it is on the ground, it just drags without moving the track like being in motion. 2. When I turn the Driven clutch it moves the track just fine. Interesting, Anybody else have any thoughts?
Thanks - P

F
Dec 4, 2013
Pic

20141001_174020.jpg

I took a picture of the rear of the track, hopefully it loads, there is this metal bracket that looks to be part of the tension bolt where the rear rollers are. it is touching the track and seems to be creating a larger arc than that of the rollers are suppose to be creating. Maybe I need to tighten those bolts so that the rollers are further back and the track is only ttouching them?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would say the track touching that bracket is your problem. It should not touch at all and will damage the track in short order if it does and you run it. Tighten the track some more if you can to get clearance. If you have to over tighten it to get clearance, that's not good either and it won't work. The track will stretch a bit if it is new, but if it is used you won't have that luxury. It looks like that track has a Polaris paddle design and I know they made 133.5" tracks. It's possible you got one.

A
Nov 13, 2011
skid track

did you change the skid to a 136?
or did you just do extensions
if you swapped skids
you have to change the front mounting hole postion

F
Dec 4, 2013
Hey guys,
So I was SOOO frustrated with this issue that I had given up on it, and said F*** it, and I didn't ride last year anyways. But now I am ready to get this squared away. I called the guy who sold this track to me, and he is going to look to see if he has a 136" in stock in his garage.

After I had installed in, I noticed that I couldn't screw the tensioner bolts much.

The track is off a Polaris, and it has 1.5" lugs.

I am almost positive it is a 133.5".

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
man i could be wrong but i really think you have a 136 1.75" track that came on RMKs in the late 90s. they offered same track in 2" a year later. they were very stiff and hard to turn by hand. thats why larger rear wheel kits got so popular back then.
Didnt cat use a notched track to clear their tunnel coolers?
any rate, you might need to just tighten it up more if you can, make sure its clear of the rail ends, fire it up and spin it some to get it warmed up, then adjust it.

F
Dec 4, 2013
man i could be wrong but i really think you have a 136 1.75" track that came on RMKs in the late 90s. they offered same track in 2" a year later. they were very stiff and hard to turn by hand. thats why larger rear wheel kits got so popular back then.
Didnt cat use a notched track to clear their tunnel coolers?
any rate, you might need to just tighten it up more if you can, make sure its clear of the rail ends, fire it up and spin it some to get it warmed up, then adjust it.

Hmmmm.... I will see what else I can do, but those tension bolts wont move much at all.

Premium Features