• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GoPro Battery Short Life - My Solution

M
Oct 31, 2013
So I don't know who else has this problem but it bugged the hell out of me. I would be riding along. do some thing awesome, crash, do some awesome side hill or get stuck is some awesomely deep snow... I look down at my go pro and the battery had died long ago....

These batteries are sadly underpowered. at most they last 1.5 hours. in the cold its even less and 20$ a pop you have to spend 100$ or more to be able to recored an entire ride. On top of that who want to be changing out batteries every hour....

So here is what I came up with.

I found a Dummy battery. drilled a hole in the back of the go pro cover and fed the wire threw a grommet. This keeps it snow tight (not water tight) I then made a barrel plug connection from a 15Ah (Equal to roughly 15x standard gopro batteries) battery. Im guessing battery life will be between 13-15 hours. Enough for two days worth of riding. Ill run out of storage long before I run out of battery power!

null_zps1cd8881a.jpg

null_zps5e4116cc.jpg

null_zps05e3f90c.jpg

null_zps9e4d50f6.jpg

null_zps664ff61c.jpg

Last edited:

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Man I just went ahead and got the extended battery pack and case... But that is definitely one sweet solution.

You posted about a month ago, how is it holding up?

R
Feb 13, 2014
This really looks like a great solution. Hope you can update us all on how it worked for you. I think I will try to give this a try, although I am not very good at building or putting together things. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Regards
Rod :rant:
DPF Delete

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
Still hoping to hear an update...

Sorry its been a crazy busy summer. The system work extremely well! I had 15 hours of of solid recording, no more missed shots, no more having to stop to change batteries! the only thing that I ever had to change was the memory card and making sure the camera was still pointed right.

B

Bergie

Apr 28, 2013
Omaha,NE
??

So ... you made this?

It this something I can buy off the web? I didn't even know this was an option

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Could you share with us where you found those parts? Im looking at ebay but cant find anything.
This mod you've done is probably the best i've ever seen for the gopros!

Im definitly going to do this :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features