• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

$2,000 to spend on 10 700 rmk - need opinions

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Ive got about 2 grand to play with on my 2010 700 rmk. I was thinking either going all out and putting works or evol r's and custom valved fox shocks all around or going with something like zero pros all around and possibly a camo extreme 2.5. Any thoughts on the zero pros as far as being sufficient for jumping or some moderate cornince dropping?

Id also like to be able to climb with my buddies on 800's. This sled rips but im coming off a piped m8 and dont really want to be dissapointed once it gets DEEP. Sled rips so far, just an MBRP can.I also thought about a pipe and pcv with the zero pros...Anyone have any experience with these setups or have sugggestions? I ride sea level - about 6000 ft. max, average about 3500. Thanks in advance.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You just asked the right person ;). I had a D7 and then a D8.

Here's how I would spend that money (not counting my consulting fee).
-Better Boards $200
-Fox Evol R $850 (talk to CodeRed on this one)
-HPS can $275 (better sound than the SLP)
-Timbersled Rear $1500 (again, talk to CodeRed)
-PCV $340

I would suggest a high compression head. I got great gains out of that but being in Alaska, you will get too low at times.

Like I said, I got great gains out of the high comp head, but beyond that don't expect much unless you go to a turbo setup. That sled is a great sled though, rips and goes where the 800's go. Suspension is a weak point as is snow evacuation.

Last edited:
H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
You just asked the right person ;). I had a D7 and then a D8.

Here's how I would spend that money (not counting my consulting fee).
-Better Boards $200
-Fox Evol R $850 (talk to CodeRed on this one)
-HPS can $275 (better sound than the SLP)
-Timbersled Rear $1500 (again, talk to CodeRed)
-PCV $340

I would suggest a high compression head. I got great gains out of that but being in Alaska, you will get too low at times.

Like I said, I got great gains out of the high comp head, but beyond that don't expect much unless you go to a turbo setup. That sled is a great sled though, rips and goes where the 800's go. Suspension is a weak point as is snow evacuation.

Got a calculator? :D

I'd say Zero Pros all around, Better Boards, Fastrax rear springs, F-bomb's track mod, and a PCV if you can swing it all. IMO, coilover shocks will always hold up better to jumps and drops than air shocks.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Got a calculator? :D

I'd say Zero Pros all around, Better Boards, Fastrax rear springs, F-bomb's track mod, and a PCV if you can swing it all. IMO, coilover shocks will always hold up better to jumps and drops than air shocks.

Yeah, I got carried away. He already has a can, so you can scratch my HPS idea. Also, I was just throwing out the Timbersled price. You can do the Holz rear kit for around $850 and save more money. I wouldn't do Zero Pro. I'd spend the coin for Evol R's.

How's this then...

-Better Boards $200
-Holz rear kit $800
-Fox Evol R's $850
-PCV $300

That's just over by about $150.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
For the D7...this would b MY choice:

SLP Pipe.
Camo CE Track
ZBroz Rear shock

If you can swing it, a Fastrax drop and roll w/Avid drivers would be next on the list.

Front Shocks would be last on the list...but on a budget, you can find a set of Zero Pros or Float 2's pretty cheap.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
For the D7...this would b MY choice:

SLP Pipe.
Camo CE Track
ZBroz Rear shock

If you can swing it, a Fastrax drop and roll w/Avid drivers would be next on the list.

Carls Helix
PCV
SLP Pipe and Can
Your choice on the track
Heavier Rear springs
Fox Zero Pro or Z Broz rear skid shock

R

ripalip2

Jan 23, 2008
everett wa.
diamonddave, i see you have carls helix at the top of your list. what cut is that helix? I was going to try a 58-40-46/ 58-38-46 this year. who is your contact at carls about the helix stuff? thanks

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I would put a camo extreme on it. I would do the ftx drop and roll but not for the clearance but for the track angle. gear it down to a 19/42 while you are there. putting a camo extreme on these sleds is like adding 20hp IMO

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
diamonddave, i see you have carls helix at the top of your list. what cut is that helix? I was going to try a 58-40-46/ 58-38-46 this year. who is your contact at carls about the helix stuff? thanks

Chris Kasel at Carls. Their helix is a proprietary cut and steeper than what you're referring to. The PCV I'd rec getting from SLP along with the newer desgined 700 pipe. Huge difference on the 700's is that pipe and PCV. With that set-up, you'd be taking out stock 800's hands down.

J

JohnnyH

Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
Not to hijack but when did SLP do a PCV map for a single piped 700?
Who do you have to know to get it?

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
700RMK mods

Vents $130-$200
HPS can, Skinz can or SLP pipe $275-$550
Clutching $250
Additional dash vent $40
Headlight adjuster cover $25
Airhorn $40
Different running boards $200
Fastrax rear springs $170

Spend the balance on Carls rear fox shox upgrade $550-$750...

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
what wil the heavier rear spring do? i know it wont sag as much, but what does this help accomplish?

and everyone mentions shocks, is this just for a better ride, softer drop?

does the holz come with shocks? for the $800 shown above? and does this rear make a good noticable difference?

and lastly, the pcv... it makes the fueling much better than stock? do you have to finagle it every time in the mountain, or just set up first time and go?

and one more thing..sorry.... this holz for $800 and the timbersled for $1500.... which is better? why is timbersled so much more $$. is cuz it comes with shcoks and holz does not??

thanks and sorry for the hijack and all the questions. new to the modifying game

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
what wil the heavier rear spring do? i know it wont sag as much, but what does this help accomplish? Fastrax puts a different angle in the springs to get the rear end back up where it should be, plus the heavier gauge springs help when you aren't the average 180 lb rider :eek:

and everyone mentions shocks, is this just for a better ride, softer drop?

does the holz come with shocks? for the $800 shown above? and does this rear make a good noticable difference? I believe Bug was talking about a close out deal Holz had on the old coilover suspensions a couple years ago ($840 with zero pros)...haven't found that price anywhere since

and lastly, the pcv... it makes the fueling much better than stock? do you have to finagle it every time in the mountain, or just set up first time and go?

and one more thing..sorry.... this holz for $800 and the timbersled for $1500.... which is better? why is timbersled so much more $$. is cuz it comes with shcoks and holz does not?? The Holz Alpha X would be the comparible suspension, at a bit over $2k, and it's just depends on your preference)

thanks and sorry for the hijack and all the questions. new to the modifying game

See red above...

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Trim and screw your track..$6

Better Boards and Better Bars...$350

Fox Evol R or zero pro package from Carl's $900-$1500

Carl's Clutch kit $250

Basically bone stock 700cc motor will hang right with any pump gas normally asperated 800 if you are not too heavy and youre a good rider. We ride all of the time with well setup 700s from Carl's and they do GREAT. It's setup and rider..the sleds are not that much different.

S
Mar 9, 2010
if your not sure what to get i will gladly take the money off your hands and what i buy i will let you know and tell you how everything woks out thanks

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Thanks for input guys. Since I posted this up I sacked all four stock shocks at 184 miles. I went with ZBroz EXIT X1's all around and the SLP pipe set. A bit over but not too bad. Anyone had experience running the pipe kit without the SLP intake? Ill probably add it soon, but not right away unless I have to.

Premium Features