• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 SKS Not starting, hard starting, idling low, dying at elevation

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Full story, but post wyoming update at the bottom

Ok ive about had it at this point, and trying to find a solution because my dealers kinda ****ing useless at this point. Heres the back story:

Ok so over the past 3 months My sled has had a starting issue when i would drive somewhere in my truck and it would take a little throttle to start, not every time but more often than not. Then it eventually got to the point where it wouldnt always idle on its own at all without me babying the throttle to keep it running, even had a moment where it wouldnt stay idling on its own after hitting 95degrees. So its been into the dealer a handful of times for this and handwarmers(but whatever on the handwarmers thats minor). So i talked to the service manager and he said to put the stock can back on and bring it in when i can, i figure no problem. Bring it in, a day goes by and me and another buddy go to pick up another sks for him and i stop at the dealer as i got a call and voice mail. I get there to a sled thats all torn apart, and get an explanation that the oil i was running(mystik full syn) caused the rings to stick and cause low compression(50 mag/120 pto) and make the pvs dirty with lots of buildup on the crowns of pistons. Symptoms of using too much oil more than anything else. Well this is all fine and dandy but the catch is i did a compression test the night before and pulled 137 on both jugs so strike one. So with all this polaris covered both pistons and a new set of pvs. So i get it back yesterday, problem still exists, and go grill them a little bit when i picked up my high elevation stuff today. Basically said theres probably still a little oil left over from before we drained the tank and thats the problem. So fast forward to me getting my low elevation gearing in place and i wanna check to make sure everything is rolling freely so i try and fire the sled up one hiccup, grab some throttle and nothing. Pull the plugs(which are new) and they are soaked and smell like gas, try an old set i have on the sled and get one hiccup again. Finally clean them off with some break cleaner, and get it to fire at wide open throttle and i have to hold the throttle open to keep it running. So i throw it up on the track stand and make sure i get it to operating temp and give it a few good ribbings to clear out whatever is going on. So now the sled is only idling at around 1450-1550(used to be at 1600-1700), on top of this it will now only start with throttle but will stay idling. I can pull all day with nothing.

Pretty pissed off at this point, got a trip to wyoming on saturday, and getting really tired of this turd not working. Im not sure what to do, as dealer says up and down the tps is in spec according to digital wrench.

Ok copy and pasted from hcs, but gives you an idea. So it ran decent all trip, however this thing would not idle worth a **** from cold. Video posted below, but will not idle on its own for any length of time at 30 degrees or so outside. On top of that it struggles to start up once warm sometimes and will slowly gurgle to life maybe providing a 1200-1300 rpm idle at best up top(if not having to grab some throttle to start). Down here(up of michigan) it seems to idle at around 1500 maybe 1550. This is on the low side for sure. Dealers just wasting my time at this point, thoughts on what to do? I want to adjust tps, but havent found a good how to anywhere yet. Suggestions guys?

Heres the video, sorry for all the chatter. Very frustrated
https://youtu.be/QKqEeUVK8jo

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I’ve ran mystiques jt4 for many many years, never a single oil related issue.

If this sled is under warranty then-
Take it to a different dealer. This dealer you’ve been to sounds like they don’t know what’s what or they’re to busy, idk. Before I buy a sled most important thing is research your dealers. It’s worth driving 100 or more miles out of the way for a good dealer that has your best interest in mind. Buddy of mine did just that. Pto seal on his 16 sks went and took the motor with it. He called his dealer and they came to his house 80miles away and picked it up same day. Dropped it off with new motor 10 days later.

All dealers are not created equal. They are not owned buy polaris or whatever manufact.

If no warranty-
Sounds like tps and I wouldn’t trust that they said it’s not. There’s plenty of YouTube vids and write ups of how to check. Don’t be shy, dive in and check it out. Good luck

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
I’ve ran mystiques jt4 for many many years, never a single oil related issue.

If this sled is under warranty then-
Take it to a different dealer. This dealer you’ve been to sounds like they don’t know what’s what or they’re to busy, idk. Before I buy a sled most important thing is research your dealers. It’s worth driving 100 or more miles out of the way for a good dealer that has your best interest in mind. Buddy of mine did just that. Pto seal on his 16 sks went and took the motor with it. He called his dealer and they came to his house 80miles away and picked it up same day. Dropped it off with new motor 10 days later.

All dealers are not created equal. They are not owned buy polaris or whatever manufact.

If no warranty-
Sounds like tps and I wouldn’t trust that they said it’s not. There’s plenty of YouTube vids and write ups of how to check. Don’t be shy, dive in and check it out. Good luck

My dealer has been good on everything other than this problem, thats probably my biggest frustration. My sled is a 2018 spring check so its got full warranty on it. Ive got tons of miles on jt4, im just playing my dealers game for the meantime.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
TPS?

EV actuator cable?

Relays?

I would check those things

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Since it has warranty I wouldn’t touch anything on it. (As u shouldn’t have to anyway!)

There’s is marks on things like the tps bolts and such, it will just give them another reason to b*t*h out if they can see it was modified in anyway.

I’m assuming u paid $10k plus for this sled and it’s not working right and no one will stand behind it? That’s un-expectable! Time to start throwing around words like “lawyer” and “small claims”. If that don’t make them blink then I’d actually talk to a lawyer.

Premium Features