• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I did the Recall on my 2017, sled feels 'slower' now!

Hello All!

I just got around to having the Chaincase Recall done on my 2017 165" and the first time I rode it afterwards, I immediately felt the sled was slower and did not 'pull' nearly as hard as it did before the recall service.

What exactly did the Dealer do for this 'Recall'? Was the gear ratio in the chaincase changed? And if so, why? Can I change it back to the previous ratio? Because for me, the Sled seemed more responsive and faster before the Recall. Or, should I just pursue a clutch kit at this point?

Thanks!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
A lower gear ratio 21/53 after recall is most likely what you are noticing. However you should have noticed a slight jump in bottom end responsiveness.

You can change it back, it is your machine after all.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
A good place to start is to look at your invoice, it will specify what was done; if the lower gear was changed to a 53 T the sled will have a marginally slower top speed but should be more responsive at the lower end.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
2017 update

I liked it better with the higher gearing as well. But what was Skidoo' s reason for changing/recalling it? Were the old gears defective? Or did they want to drop the ratio to preserve belt life? Or was it something else?

Thanks!

It's all to help with belt life not performance. The lower gear will be quicker for the first 5' then it won't have the same pull. My dads 17 slowed down going up the hill after he got his recalls dun. He capt the stock gear tho, we are going to reinstall along with a softer primary spring & stiffer qrs with my 2018 ramps.

S

snodad

Jan 5, 2008
different clicker positions

Just wondered if you noticed what clicker position you are in? I run mine at position 1 from the truck up to the riding elevation and change to 3 once we are there to keep the RPMs down. Position 3 is much snappier feeling than position 1, especially at higher elevation but I will overrev at lower elevation.

I have a 17 and I am a hesitant to get the gear change done! These things seem to geared low already.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
It's all to help with belt life not performance. The lower gear will be quicker for the first 5' then it won't have the same pull. My dads 17 slowed down going up the hill after he got his recalls dun. He capt the stock gear tho, we are going to reinstall along with a softer primary spring & stiffer qrs with my 2018 ramps.

Stay with the 17 primary spring, change ramps and weight. Talk with Rooster built--they will get you set up---easy peasy.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
As for the feeling slower---you are right--that is what Doo did..Lowered your gear ratio---

17 stock was a 2:42 to 1 ratio
18 and updated 17 is a 2:52 to 1 ratio

so they took away top end--track speed and create less belt heat from improper clutching.

Personally---I am running a 2:32 to 1 gear ratio with no belt issues at this time..

Of course I am also running a 927 Trygstad...

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
As for the feeling slower---you are right--that is what Doo did..Lowered your gear ratio---

17 stock was a 2:42 to 1 ratio
18 and updated 17 is a 2:52 to 1 ratio

so they took away top end--track speed and create less belt heat from improper clutching.

Personally---I am running a 2:32 to 1 gear ratio with no belt issues at this time..

Of course I am also running a 972 Trygstad...

972 trygstad ha ha must be a ripper one can only dream of.:face-icon-small-hap

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Gimme a break---fingers typed it wrong:face-icon-small-dis

If you want to know how it rips---read my review under Trygstad.

I’ve been following your post on that motor glad it’s working good.

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
I have a 165X3. Had the gear change and like the sled much better. A lot peppier, much better creek jumper, and I certainly don't feel I lost any top end. You can only play the ratio game for so long before you run out of torque to support the speed thing.

Premium Features