• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche/radio interference axys

T
Dec 29, 2015
i carry BCA two way radio and avalanche transceiver, when practicing with beacon i found that the axys rmk had to be off in order to get any direction on the buried beacon. My dad, who also has an axys rmk, says he hears interference on his two way radio when i ride close to him, i hear interference on my two way radio endlessly when i'm riding but not at idle. any one else noticed there there avalanche equipment not working with axys running. or is it just my sled. ideas?

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
It's funny u mention that. I just got bca radio and I keep hearing interference when I'm riding. I actually have to turn them off or down cause it's driving me crazy... I thought it was just me

vernon

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
I have a 13 pro and an axys . When riding the pro there is constant interference on my Bca radio none when on my axys. Don't know why?

P
Apr 19, 2015
I have the same problem, axys with just the stock gauge cluster. I got a hold of BCA and they are sending me a new radio. Hopefully it works.

My buddy has an axys and he doesn't have any issues with interference with his BCA link.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
I have a 2013 pro also and same thing. Believe it has to do with they type of spark plugs need ones with a resistor or something I was told.

T
Dec 29, 2015
anyone tested avalanche beacon function with engine running. might be a good idea to let your rmk buddies know they have to kill there engines if there going to find an avalanche victim.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
For those of you having interference issues, how many different channels have you tried and have you seen a difference between the high wattage channels and the low wattage channels?????

W

Wowmom

Feb 10, 2013
Texas
Ran into the interference/squelching issue with our new Link radios and Axis sleds. Called BCA, they basically told me to bad, there is nothing they can do (after the purchase of FOUR radios) told me to call Polaris and complain.

I contacted a AV instructor to get his take on the situation, he stated that the Axis is also causing interference with avalanche beacons.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
anyone tested avalanche beacon function with engine running. might be a good idea to let your rmk buddies know they have to kill there engines if there going to find an avalanche victim.

I would completely agree as this is a basic procedure to follow in the event of an avy burial. If you have an avy burial and your group goes into into search mode, all sleds should be turned off!!

Not only does it make it easier to communicate between the members of the search team, you could potentially hear faint yells for help!!

xj1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Wisconsin
Sleds should always be off in a search situation. Cell phones also interfere with signals for the beacons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I have 5 of the bca's for my family and we notice the interference too today. We have two axys and noticed one was worse than the other.

T
Nov 7, 2010
Utah
Something to keep in mind - I'm hearing that cell phones potentially cause interference with avy tranceivers (beacons). Especially when searching, range can reportedly be reduced up to 50%. With the cell phone functionality of the PIDD, this implies the rider may have his cell phone powered on while riding. It might not be the first thing that comes to mind - to turn off your phone in the event of a burial of somebody in your group. I'm starting to think, the phone maybe should be stowed on the machine, instead of on the rider? However, phone's may be more prone to damage when stowed on the machine (crash, splash, etc). Thoughts?:faint:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Cell phones, radios, sleds, GoPros, etc. all should be turned off when conducting a beacon search. It's great to use cell phones to call for help, radios to get the search organized, and sleds to get to the "last seen" point, but all that stuff needs to be turned off when beacons are switched to search mode.

It doesn't matter what brand, what frequency, what software version, wifi or bluetooth enabled, or anything else... just TURN IT OFF. A real search is already too stressful without having to argue with a partner, "oh, my Axys doesn't have the PIDD" or, "it's ok, this is only a GoPro 3 and it doesn't interfere as bad as a GoPro 4." No...

TURN IT OFF

S
Sep 16, 2016
Cells phones (iPhone) 100% cause interference with avy beacons. I was practicing beacon searches and noticed the signal on my beacon continuously flipped directions making the other beacon impossible to find. With my phone in my pocket, I then put it on airplane mode and the signal was immediately picked back up and the other beacon was found. I find airplane mode is sufficient as along as Bluetooth and wifi are turned off. Leaving it in airplane mode makes it easy to look at a map/text without having to power the phone on/off constantly.

As far as radios, I use a Baofeng and haven't noticed any interference and I have the polaris IDD.

G
Sep 6, 2013
electronic noise

I am in the process of taking an AIRE level 1 class and experienced the same thing on my 2016 axys.

Take a look at BCA's website on electronic noise:

http://backcountryaccess.com/electronic-noise-and-what-it-means-for-your-beacon-2/

It pretty much says to shut off ALL electronic equipment and your snowmobile entirely. Spark plugs, and LED lights can affect the beacons.

Our instructor was teaching to ride the sled until you got to around 10 meters. He was on an older ski-doo and didn't seem to be having any problems.

I'm going to share this "best practice" with him from BCA and see what he says tomorrow.

I will update this post if I remember (currently 1/21/17, day 1 of the course).

Premium Features