• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken clutch puller still in clutch on sled

R
Dec 11, 2008
I need help ASAP. I have a 2006 Crossfire and I was trying to change my clutch weights from my primary and in the process of a extremely difficult time. My clutch puller snapped right off at the threads inside the clutch which is still on the machine. I have tried several things. Heat, Easy outs, hitting a punch with a hammer, air chisel, and nothing I do can will get my clutch to pop off.

Has this happen to anybody, if so what is the best way to get it off/out?

Mean while we just go the first snow of the year and it is time to ride...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
You might have to cut the clutch off with a die grinder with a cut off wheel...

How much heat have you tried? Heat it right down in the bottom of the sheave where the belt sits and then hit it there with a brass punch.That will get 99% of them off.

Hesdale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
Would it be possible to use a large bearing puller to pop it off? what about hitting the clutch outward or sideways with a mallet, maybe jarring it? Never a fun situation...

900kingkitty

Nov 27, 2007
terrace b.c, canada
carefull to not bend the crank, where did it break off, are the threads damaged?can you try and tap the remover out with a sharp punch , slowly winding it back out?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Would it be possible to use a large bearing puller to pop it off? what about hitting the clutch outward or sideways with a mallet, maybe jarring it? Never a fun situation...

bearing puller will destroy the clutch(distort it)...dont hit it on the edges either...is the broken part within a 1/4 in. of the outside surface? if it is take a big nut(match the bolt diameter or a size bigger) hold it flush and square over the broken puller and using a mig welder weld thru the nut onto the end of the shaft of the puller..slowly circle around the shaft building weld up until the shaft is welded to the inside of the nut(fill the nut with weld)..as soon as you are done welding it(as soon as it looses the bright orange color), put a wrench on it and spin it out...if it breaks the nut off do it again with a new nut until it comes out..the heat of welding will help to loosen the bolt ...when its out get a new puller and oil it good and try again...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
My dad found some backwards drill bits for that sort of thing not sure where you get them though, I've also seen flat head punches that twist when you hit them with a hammer. If you can weld something to it make sure all surfaces are as clean ( grind with dye grinder ) as you can get them, you might be better of welding a piece of pipe on and then a nut on the pipe, it will give you more surface area to weld to, if you don't have a high quality welder take it to a fab shop, you'll need a lot of penetration in a small area. Good luck

A
Feb 17, 2008
Chugiak, AK
This happened to me couple of months ago. Do not heat the clutch or beat on it. Put the belt back on, start the sled, slowly engage the clutch. The clutch will pop off before you are at the end of the driveway. The threaded end of the puller will be very easy to get out of the clutch. Package both pieces of the puller and return it to where you purchased it.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I concur

AK has got one simple solution, start it up and gently ride it, clutch will usually spin off as the engine and clutch's warm up. Might even take a few miles, but it will work.

Back in the day of clutch bolts breaking every ride it was suprising how few clutch's fell of though, so you might even take alittle ride.

R
Dec 11, 2008
Well after talking with a few other people, we got the clutch to pop off by using some brass wedges (3) that we evenly placed around the back side of the clutch. We positioned them so none of them would touch the crank shaft, then gently pounded them in to help apply a back pressure on the clutch. We then used some heat on the shaft and hit the clutch puller with a punch. About two times of hitting the punch it popped off.

My buddy has a M8 and he couldn't get his clutch to pop either, so we tried the wedges like we did on mine and it came right off also.

Somebody should start marketing these wedges because clutch removal seems to be a common problem with the cats these days.

Thanks for everybodies help and input.

M
Dec 14, 2007
:DWell i guess im lucky after last winter more then you guys woth this prob any how, all tht happened to mine is my very trusted Mech made a late night spider change the night me and a buddy left for valemount he removed the clutch at 8pm after the dealer closed they stayed open just to get the clutch done and no charge.:)Lac La biche sporting goods is the Best dealer i have ever had they have a life time customer in the end and after the Mech broke 2 of his snap-on ratchets and fell off the sled deck once it was done lucky never snapd the puller though:beer;

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
stuck clutch

I had this happen the other day on my king cat. i didnt break the puller but could feel it twisting I didnt know what else to do. i tapped on the puller with alot of pressure on the puller, i hate doing that in fear of hurting the bottom brgs, but no luck. heated with a propane torch, no luck. boiled about 1 gal of water until a rapid boil then poured on the inner pulley and behind it and one small tap and it fell off. the water heated the pulley way better than the heat did i was surprized. puller is twisted now, threw it away so I dont try to use it again.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I typically remove the bolt, put the sled on it's side and fill the clutch hole with water. Teflon tape on the puller and run it in. Pops every time.

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
My AC mech showed me a cool trick a few years back when I had a clutch that wouldn't come off. Install your puller just short of that tightness where you start to get nervous. Then give it one solid wack right on the end of the puller with a good sized dead blow hammer. Your clutch will nearly shoot across the room everytime. So be ready to catch it!

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
If you pull the clutch at least once a season they seem to pop right off for me. If they have been on there for two or more years is when the get fun to remove.

Premium Features