• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 1 ride review

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
Reviews are always just one guys opinion, but reviews tied to money in some way are just propaganda.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I was present when the editor of one of the prominent sled magazine said Cat is over-selling the virtues of the Alpha when it comes to hardpack snow. He said guys will definitely not like it in those conditions. Nobody usually likes those conditions on any sled anyway. He did however say he has not seen any sled climb on the snow like the Alpha.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
A friend rode it on hard snow and said it handled great.
b86abce41886cbffd3cbd7172e4f1909.jpg

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I was present when the editor of one of the prominent sled magazine said Cat is over-selling the virtues of the Alpha when it comes to hardpack snow. He said guys will definitely not like it in those conditions. Nobody usually likes those conditions on any sled anyway. He did however say he has not seen any sled climb on the snow like the Alpha.

Not so sure I agree with that. I can’t recall seeing or reading anything directly from arctic cat speaking about the alphas handling on hard pack. It’s actually been the opposite. They are saying it’s purposely built for deep snow mountain riding and the MC and Sno Pro are more all around packages.
All the comments I’ve read about hard pack ridability have been from independent test riders, ie magazines and individuals that have demoed one. Can you or the editor point to anything specific cat is marketing or saying about the alpha on hard pack? I know there’s been a few comments about minimal impact from old tracks under the fluff.

R Harrison’s opinion on the alpha on hard pack sure seems to be a lot different then what other demo riders are saying. Just seems like he’s not a fan of cats no matter what they do. When you read comments like the 18 MC trenches, common that is not true at all. The 18 MCs should have been mountain sled of the year.

Last edited:

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I haven't seen cat selling it for hard snow but maybe I missed something? The Cat guys I talked to didn't brag it up for spring snow at all. My experience on it was fine in both super deep and super crappy snow conditions. The exception may be steep sidehilling in harder snow but I really didn't get to verify that, but who really cares about that? Everything has tradeoffs...

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Apparently it will do crazy stuff in reverse according to a video I watch. Didn't show it. Just talked about it.

Talked with some very experienced guys who rode it in deep powder. They say the reverse actually functions in the powder. Like you actually go backwards instead of just dig the track in deeper. Also when you lift the back end when stuck in, it’s very light cuz it doesn’t hold 50-100lbs of snow and ice. Sucks that I’ll never see it in person until the 18-19 season.

S
Mar 13, 2018
Hey guys i just bought a alpha this year have around 100 miles on it ,coming off a 2015 pro turbo . Tha alpha is much easier to side and hold a line and the track hooks and feels like it has alot more HP than 160 class , i have absolutely zero regret about buying it .

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Finally got deep snow experience on my alpha 165. Tahoe just got a 2-3ft dump of upside down snowfall. Storm started out light low density snow and ended heavy dense, and wind affected. Then it got warm yes!!! Made for some tricky riding with lots of throttle input to move the sled around. You couldn't quite trust your skis to do anything predicable. Guys were having problems to say the least.
To be honest the Alpha was unstoppable in these conditions. Ive only got 5 hrs on the sled so I felt bad having to ride it that hard. I was making 7900-8050 rpm around 10,000ft most of the time. Pretty happy with that considering I was throwing rooster tail of cement behind me. 8250 is the money spot right? Like everyone has been saying the mid range power is quite unbelievable. Combined with the new track it almost too good to be true. In good snow I can only imagine... Super impressed with the sled.
I didn't feel like I was over riding it too much. Trying hard to stay in a moto stance. You didn't want to stick you boot in the snow for fear of ripping it off. haha. The running boards actually did pretty good I guess. The only weird thing was the backshift. or lack there of. RPMs would kinda hang up there around 6,000 and over rev going down hill. Id have to blip the throttle and it would do some more crap then settle into a more manageable descent mode. prob my fault. Or can I blame it on clutching? I'll give it a winter before I mess with any clutching stuff. Maybe some MDS weights and spring if I really need it.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
around 10,000ft most of the time.

Wow, you found the secret tahoe mountains no one knows about :face-icon-small-win

That paste we've been riding the last few days.......I was actually thinking an alpha would rule in that stuff.

B

Boondockingak

I had the opportunity to put in several hours on my 154” alpha on some more technical deep snow steep tree riding today in some local canyons. I was very very impressed. The rider imput learning curve is pretty steep. Every time I thought I was done and going to trench out, the sled would jump out of the snow and violently start heading up the hill again, usually with me dangling off the side(jk). On flat ground in deep snow, starting from a stand still, the thing catwalks without much effort, that’s always fun. The transition from sitting up straight to on its side is going to take a little time to become predictable. The crazy thing is that it seems to get insane traction no matter what position it’s in. Although it cat walks easily, simply moving forward on the tunnel provides all the traction needed for steep climbing without trenching out. I’m super stoked.

I have a friend with a very nicely set up big bore from Carl’s cycle on an rmk (built and tuned by Carl’s cycle). His sled is one of the few BB’s that runs very well. Like a turbo without lag. I would imagine that he’s running 190-210hp. Although his sled absolutely has more power, the alpha seems to have more power to the ground. I’m Very impressed so far. Rail is looking great, track looks great with no obvious wear.

I asked my buddy riding the Carl’s cycle rmk if he was ready to try the alpha, he simply looked over and said “no, no I don’t”. I then asked, “how come?”. He then answered “because if I ride that thing, I’ll end up buying one, and I’m not ready to buy one”.

FWIW, I’ve been wrong before, but I’m pretty sure cat designed and marketed this to be a deep snow and steep mountain performance ride. For the steep and deep freestyle enthusiast, rumer is they have a purpose built sled called a “hardcore” designed for drops, jumps and stumps and rocks. One should not confuse the two models....

9b785c12e6c641d2a2e985a0624063e5.jpeg

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Wow, you found the secret tahoe mountains no one knows about :face-icon-small-win

That paste we've been riding the last few days.......I was actually thinking an alpha would rule in that stuff.

Im gonna put a big ol trench in that paste mañana. side by side with my buddies 850 doo. lets make magic happen!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Had a tough ride today, only 10-12” over a firm base for most of the day. 165” Alpha. There were several fairly steep, really tight climbs thru the trees. I went last of three and my buddy Trenchmaster was leading the way. So DEEP trenches in a firm base with only 10-18” of good snow on top. This is the best sled I’ve ever ridden in those conditions. Climbing like that normally gives me trouble on my XM 174 or recently my G4 175”. I made every climb clean on the first try but one and I was just not riding that good most of the day. The Alpha will pull the skis a little off the snow and then ride the track to the top. I could stay in the trench the whole way or climb alongside it or go back and forth. Big old growth trees with very little room to spare. I didn’t even scrape a tree with a ski all day. I was a little frustrated today and for the first few climbs I was just thinking “go for it, just go as far as you can” and I was topping out every time.
I’m starting to really like this sled. The only time I got bounced out off line and didn’t make it I had to roll the sled to get it going. I didn’t clean out the flipper and when I tried the second time I could only get half throttle or less. I just went for it and that Alpha just torqued it’s way up and out. Super impressed. Also, I’m a big load for a sled. 250 without gear, gotta be close to 290 with riding gear, Avy equipment, snivel gear, first aid stuff and tools.

Premium Features