• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VIDEO: Alpha 1 Track in motion.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
How can it be in this day and age that a manufacturer does not have video ready to go to support a new sled release, that shows all phases of typical mountain riding? Get your pros to show it climbing and sidehlling in tough conditions and you would mostly eliminate this chatter. And, it would remove a lot of hesitation for guys thinking of snow checking. At this point, it is kind of a red flag that they did not release a vid of the Alpha sidehilling in steep, firm conditions (where the Axys shines), because they had to anticipate the doubts in that regard. Personally, I'd still buy one without trying it, because it obviously rips in every other scenario, and I don't care much about sidehilling in those conditions. I'm sure it would get me where I want to go, far better than an '08 XP, which is the sled I had when I learned to ride the really techy stuff. If your highest priority is sidehilling a frozen wall over a cliff, then this is probably not the machine for you.

I completely agree.
Still goes back to marketing. AC does not know the definition of that, despite the big money backing of Textron. I have said for the last few years they need to fire every person in their marketing department, and it probably goes higher than that. They need to take a few lessons from the Polaris marketing department, they may learn something.
They (AC) still have old information on their website even.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Have you been on an Alpha ? If so please elaborate on your experience of barely holds a steep side hill.

:brokenheart:

This is where basic reading comprehension comes in handy.
1 - This is simply my input for a forum discussion based on my experience with other sleds I have ridden and the people I have ridden with.
2 - The word "expect" is different from the word "experienced"...that's hopefully enough of a tip for you to figure out your own question.

D
Mar 13, 2014
:brokenheart:

This is where basic reading comprehension comes in handy.
1 - This is simply my input for a forum discussion based on my experience with other sleds I have ridden and the people I have ridden with.
2 - The word "expect" is different from the word "experienced"...that's hopefully enough of a tip for you to figure out your own question.

I thought this exactly.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
This is where it get interesting...because "firm snow" to one person is not to another...and the meaning of a "steep sidehill" varies greatly from person to person.

I think the flex edge comparison is a good one...some feel that this track will sidehill great. But my experience is that it barely holds a steep sidehill and requires full steering lock countersteer to do so...tons of drag due to that and very inefficient with sidehilling. And it washes out very easy if you aren't perfect with throttle control...a bit too much and your nose is pointed straight uphill and you are stuck. But awesome, agile sled to ride...very easy to lay over and cut tight radius turns with. So, there is the tradeoff.

And as for an Axys washing out...sure, it can...any sled can. But when I ride one and cut a steep sidehill, it holds as good as anything, requires minimal steering/ countersteering input to do so, holds a very level edge (track is not always one foot below the skis) and you can simply feel it has minimal drag. Very easy and predictable to sidehill.

I would expect this sled to be very easy to ride and manuever, but not hold the steep sidehill well. And I'm not talking any sidehill...I'm talking steep ones. 45-50+ degree range...not 30 degrees (which some consider a steep sidehill).

And just like the Doos, I would expect the Alpha to require minimal energy to ride...but I think it will be limited when it comes to extreme terrain, specifically the sidehilling.

Keyboard highmarking at its best

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Certainly interesting. Am looking forward to seeing how it pulls aggressive sidehills on set-up snow and how it compares to the Axys there.

As for welcome to the future...on-board there. But how long until sleds look like a Snowhawk? Was the future already here? We keep going more and more narrow up front with tracks that roll side to side easily.

Do we end up with 13" or 14" wide tracks that are longer? If the push really is a sled that will simply roll on it's edge with minimal force, how far do we go? And when are we OK with minimal side to side stability? Maybe rider preference?

Don't know...but it's cool to see the innovation and fun to watch the trends.

I think there are a few things that most people who would rather ride a sled are looking for that a snowhawk/snowbike doesn't do.

Stand up riding. I'm not looking for the best position to be seated and have my back take the abuse all day long. Want it to be designed to be ridden standing up!

The ability to have different footing positions.

Want to be able to jump from side to side and not be locked into just one riding position. Love to hang off one side and go wrong foot forward when needed.

The ability to carve, rolling up on one ski and carving to me is the most appealing point of riding a sled, without this it would take the fun factor away.

Not looking to have to "ride" the sled constantly. I want to be able to just let the sled balance itself sometimes so I can take a break.

Not interested in something that you have to worry about the front end washing out on you, ie hard packed trails and icy conditions.

Looking for some protection from objects and the elements provided by the front. Having my feet and legs exposed to branches and pow all day long does not appeal to me.

A high center of gravity is something that once again would ruin what makes a sled fun to ride.

2 skis in the front is something that will always have to be :)

I think going past the point of what makes a sled not a snowbike is where the progression needs to stop. If I wanted my sled to be a snowbike I'd buy one.

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Good points.

I think it'll be cool to see how narrow the front ends get. Motor is as compact as it can be side to side (for the most part)...maybe the narrow front chassis desire will create innovation around primary clutches and how wide they are.

keyboard highmarking at its best
LOL. Exactly. I'm a legend on my own computer...

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Silber rode one out in West and he said he was very impressed. And he's a big Polaris fan and has hated the Proclimb chassis since it came out.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
So I have a theory and to be honest I'm a bit intimidated to even post because I'm fairly new to the mt game and am a dreaded " oos flatlander" However this thing intrigues me. Its hard for me to explain but I'll try my best. If you watch the video it looks as if, when on its side, the track has almost a j hook or
maybe you can make the case for a wide u. In the rear, where it comes around the wheels, its always trying to get back to square with the chassis. The same is happening coming off the drivers, there will be a force holding it square with the chassis (although not as drastic since its not in the snow all the time). The middle conforms to the terrain. Wouldn't this give it a multitude of different planes that the track is biting the snow on and holding the track from washing out? Plus with the track spinning you are creating centrifugal forces that would make the center want to get back to square which would help force it into the snow. Kind of a "ballooning out" effect. In my head this is why it is still able to side hill well, the rear (and to a smaller degree, the front) is setting the edge and the middle is getting greater forward traction. In the t motion and flex edge scenario those forces wouldn't be there. Would this help explain why, contrary to my initial thoughts, it works so different from the doo?

Also, I'm curious as to how they keep the track from derailing? I have a lot of tracked equipment and my first reaction was that it will walk right off the rear wheels if track tension is not super tight.

Maybe I'm completely off in my lines of thought but there are guys here that are way smarter than I am and I would love to get your input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't think you are off base at all. I think the front and back are close to a edge like people like on the axys and the center is conforming and providing more surface and better traction and possibly works better.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I think you will have to run the track tighter then past models. Maybe another reason they went to such a larger rear wheel.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I had the pleasure of riding the alpha today, after reading all the predictions on how it would or should work, all I can really say is it does work, and quite well. Coming from exclusively riding a Doo, the flat steering is difficult for me, outside of my deficiencies with that it was great. The track angle helps it plane quickly, and once the track started spinning rider input was minimal.
I am by no means an expert, and by reading on here I would probably be a beginner, but from the time I had on it I think they are headed in a good direction.
I hope some of the “experts” on here get the opportunity to ride one, you very well my find yourself being surprised.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I keep seeing people referring to the track flexing. This new cat track doesn’t flex (at least from side to side like doo). it has rigid bars from one edge of the track to the other, like all other traditional sled tracks (except doo). Cat actually thickened the bar in the center section over the previous powerclaw to keep it from bending or breaking. I think this is one key that will really help the track stay flat on the surface of the snow for maximum traction.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
Maybe flex is the wrong term since it makes everyone think of the flex edge. But flex is easier to say than "rotates around the center rail"

I agree if the track wasnt so stiff side to side, my theory above wouldn't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
In science you are supposed to be sceptical or that's how it was supposed to be until you throw liberals in the equation and then you are just supposed to believe it or you are an idiot. Snowmobilers take scepticism to a whole new level. Some is just brand bias. Knock this down to raise theirs up. I knew this would work. I ordered one the day after the dealer release.

Premium Features