• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many poo riders going to cat?

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
Just wondering how many Polaris guys went with the new mountain cat. I have heard of a few but just wondering what pushed you to the new mountain cat? I have a 17 Pro Rmk and ordered a new M cat 153. As I wanted to try them side by side. Those who have jumped what did you like about the cat that was better than the pro.?
Thanks in advance

R
Feb 29, 2016
Just wondering how many Polaris guys went with the new mountain cat. I have heard of a few but just wondering what pushed you to the new mountain cat? I have a 17 Pro Rmk and ordered a new M cat 153. As I wanted to try them side by side. Those who have jumped what did you like about the cat that was better than the pro.?
Thanks in advance

I rode my buddys 16 LE all day today in great conditions. I have had nothing but problems with my Axys lately and it is a bit of a repeat with Polaris not standing behind the pile of JUNK they sold me, just like my '14.

It is over between us. I need a sled that I can ride a second year if I need to, the Poo aint it. The Cat ripped all day, outclimbed everything in the group (Ski Doos).

It will not sidehill like the Pro, no way no how. Otherwise it is better at most everything else and should be much more durable. I am not buying an '18, seen to many get burned by first year issues. My Polaris has them, the 850 Doo has them and I do not need to be an experiment for Cat either. I will find a nice '17 MC, ride it 2 years and buy a '19.

They say the '17 is better than the '16, which is good, and the '18 is much better yet. Looks like the sled to beat next year.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the 17 is a solid product put a can and gripper skis on it and don't look back. a 20 t top gear will help a bit too.... btw the plastics suck AZZ but cat fixed them 3/4 aZZ in 18

the 17 had a cleaner map and made more power by my butt dyno.

Last edited:
E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
I did the opposite, switched from cat(high country) to an sks 146 due to cat not putting the high country into the ascender chassis and not including some of the other stuff that would have made it a lethal package. Im not planning on being dissaponted, but if it doesnt go well ill be back to cat in short order thats for sure.

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
I did the opposite, switched from cat(high country) to an sks 146 due to cat not putting the high country into the ascender chassis and not including some of the other stuff that would have made it a lethal package. Im not planning on being dissaponted, but if it doesnt go well ill be back to cat in short order thats for sure.

I did that last year as well Rode a Axis pro and it was so easy to ride compared to my 16 M8000. So I bought one, And I have been a cat guy my whole life so really having a hard time riding a poo. But I didn't have to fight the poo like I did my cat, And I had skinny boards, can, Raptor shocks, and the poo was still better out of the box. But very underpowered compared to my cat. Now with the 18 Who knows I was hoping someone else rode them side by side.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

The new high country is in the "ascender" chassis.

I thought long and hard about ordering one actually.. Especially because of the suspension package and new engine design.

If I make a switch from Poo, it'll probably be a Doo.

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
The new high country is in the "ascender" chassis.

I thought long and hard about ordering one actually.. Especially because of the suspension package and new engine design.

If I make a switch from Poo, it'll probably be a Doo.

Im pretty sure its still in the XF chassis, non dropped and rolled chaincase, plus rearward running boards not the forward footwell ones.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have $8k into my axys with silber turbo. 2k in my skinny 16 cat. The axys is more capable in tech terrain, but gets way more squirrelly and can buck you off your line if you arent paying attention. Cat just holds a straight line easier and goes through rutted out terrain easier. Jumps and lands better too. When I ride two days in a row I always ride my axys the first day and cat second day. That's because the axys beats me up more through the day. There are certain things that Polaris does better and certain things the Artic Cat does better in my opinion. At the end of the day they are both great sleds, and I like both of them. With plenty of seat time on the 18 cat I feel it is a good step ahead of my 16. But it does need a steering increase mod. Macs kmod mod will be going on my 18 too. And grippers are way better than cats skis. 18 cat motor and clutching I like better than the stock axys. Super smooth and linear.

I finally rode a Gen 4 a week ago. Still not a fan of doo. It's almost like the sled dictates to you what it wants to do. It still has that weird feel in the front end when trying to countersteer. Better than the XM, but still can't just jump on it and ride it like I do my Polaris or cat as far as body and foot positioning.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks in advance

They are a year or 3 late on the upgrades for me. I likely would have snowchecked one if they were available last spring. Shock package, motor, and clutching are very attractive.

Buddy has a 17 Mountain Cat. Its a sweet sled, he'll go anywhere on it. My gripes would be that the motor and wide plastics feel prehistoric, and its not as predictable as the Axys. Those issues should pretty well be solved for 2018 I'm guessing.

That said I would bet there are very few who jump ship to cat, nothing really groundbreaking here. I feel like new motors and a low dry weight sell sleds. The new cats not super light and is a direct injected 800 motor, the 800 etec has been available since 2011.

I am excited to see what Textron brings to the table. I am guessing improvements and changes will happen much quicker, which is what is desperately needed to keep their mountain sled sales in line with the other 2. I would be willing to bet both Doo and Poo have outsold Cats 3:1 the last few years and that 2018 will be no different.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
i jumped. was not disappointed with my axys...but have been following the cat dev for few years and as pretty impressed with changes. guess i will find out soon enough. I got 1 ride in before season ended here and i rode them side by side. cat motor felt damn good compared to my axys. won't be able to see chassis difference really til next season.

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
I am. Been on Polaris my whole life. 5000 miles on my 16 axys. They're awesome sled but I rode the 18 and was sold. They do almost everything better than the axys. The axys will still hold a steeper line than the cat though but not by much. The new motor and clutching works so good, that was my biggest gripe with the older ones

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Cool, we can compare the 17 to 18 next winter

I rode my buddys 16 LE all day today in great conditions. I have had nothing but problems with my Axys lately and it is a bit of a repeat with Polaris not standing behind the pile of JUNK they sold me, just like my '14.

It is over between us. I need a sled that I can ride a second year if I need to, the Poo aint it. The Cat ripped all day, outclimbed everything in the group (Ski Doos).

It will not sidehill like the Pro, no way no how. Otherwise it is better at most everything else and should be much more durable. I am not buying an '18, seen to many get burned by first year issues. My Polaris has them, the 850 Doo has them and I do not need to be an experiment for Cat either. I will find a nice '17 MC, ride it 2 years and buy a '19.

They say the '17 is better than the '16, which is good, and the '18 is much better yet. Looks like the sled to beat next year.

R
Feb 29, 2016
Cool, we can compare the 17 to 18 next winter

...and I will be out on Randy's '16 again tomorrow. I LOVE the 3" power claw. I really like the better shocks and I like the power for sure. I have been riding it harder each time and trust it pretty well by now.

So yes, I am switching. hopefully there is a new one (17 MC) around next fall. Otherwise I will have to get an '18.

R
Feb 29, 2016
kinda changed your tone lately eh red mtn?:face-icon-small-coo

How so?

Cat kinda changed their sleds...

Same tune, if poo would build a decent product and stand behind it I would be buying another. They do not, and I am tired of giving them money to continue being idiots. I will suck up the extra weight penalty and ride the heavier but more reliable machine. I still think the Poo is a better riding chassis by a noticeable margin. I have not ridden the 18 yet though.

Premium Features