For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Forum Rules & Instructions Questions and Answers about how to use the SnoWest forums and all it's features.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Currently: Wrapping up my current builds, so I can start building my M-AXYS
Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,071 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute
Default WTF? A Time Limit On the Edit Function?

I recently found out that there is a time limit on the Edit function (EDIT Button disappears after an administrator settable time period).

I find the expiration of the EDIT feature a completely worthless feature. As it eliminates error correction of inaccurate data, as well as the inability to repair bad links for photos, video, and the like. Not to mention spelling and grammar errors that may have gotten overlooked originally.

It is my belief that Christopher has the power to change this, and is likely the one who set (whatever time frame) is currently set as the expiration of the EDIT Feature.

IMO there should be no expiration of the Edit feature. As you can only EDIT your own Posts and Threads, thus having an expiration is useless.

I have no power to leverage this change alone, but we can if enough of us call it what it is; ( I.E. BS) and make him understand the error of this mentality.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoudHandle For This Useful Post:
05rmksteve (04-05-2017), chuckychoadcheese (04-10-2017), TNTCOPP (04-10-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Currently: and here we have a monkey with 4 asses
Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

Your request seems reasonable to me.

Member of South Dakota Snowmobile Assn.

Support the sport you love, join a club & get involved!

Remember, Pig & Elephant DNA just don't splice

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Currently: Looking for a Dragon crankshaft...
sledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond reputesledhed has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the time limit on edits is a huge hassle. Such as for items where they are for sale for a while (example: sled in spring), want to revise ad (more miles, or change what options are on the sled)... I can see maybe after a YEAR not allowing changes or deletions.

The only place where I find people's edits annoying is in swapmeet when they sell something, delete the entire text of their post and just say "SOLD". Since I am searching for that particular item (say a track, or a set of skis) it is good to know about what price something sells for! Adding "SOLD" to the end of the post or (lacking that) to the last post in the thread is good enough...
Member:Missoula SnowgoersMontana Snowmobile Association

Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Currently: Building out a trailer.....
Thanked 3,392 Times in 1,906 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudHandle View Post
I recently found out that there is a time limit on the Edit function (EDIT Button disappears after an administrator settable time period).

I find the expiration of the EDIT feature a completely worthless feature. As it eliminates error correction of inaccurate data, as well as the inability to repair bad links for photos, video, and the like. Not to mention spelling and grammar errors that may have gotten overlooked originally.

It is my belief that Christopher has the power to change this, and is likely the one who set (whatever time frame) is currently set as the expiration of the EDIT Feature.

IMO there should be no expiration of the Edit feature. As you can only EDIT your own Posts and Threads, thus having an expiration is useless.

I have no power to leverage this change alone, but we can if enough of us call it what it is; ( I.E. BS) and make him understand the error of this mentality.
I could be wrong but I believe this was enabled back in the day as there was a couple members who wanted to go back and delete all of their old posts thus making the threads useless. It was to protect the old information, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure Christopher will chime in on that but for now if you have an older post you needed edited shoot myself or any other mod a message with what you want changed and will take care of it for you. Some members just report the post with the changes they want made also.

The Following User Says Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
turbolover (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Currently: Working on the new/Old School Tow Rig.
Thanked 1,623 Times in 918 Posts
turbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

It also keeps people from changing posts and making following posts look ridiculous.

example.

Make an outrageous post and get a follow on post.
OP retorts with inflammatory remark and starts argument.
go back and change your post then report the follow on post.

He looks like a jerk when OP was the instigator.

14 800 Pro RMK 163
09 600 RMK 156

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Currently: CONTEMPLATING: "Laughter is gods hand on a troubled world.".
Thanked 8,748 Times in 3,884 Posts
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudHandle View Post

... and is likely the one who set (whatever time frame) is currently set as the expiration of the EDIT Feature.
Loudhandle,

The time limit on edits was in place before Christopher took over management of the forums.

Suggesting that Christopher somehow implemented the edit time function, however, is Not correct.

You make some good points with your desire to be able to repair bad links, correct spelling etc...

Suggesting changes or airing concerns about the forum here, in a rational way, IS a great way to be heard and as a forum-community, work to make things better for all.

It would be best, IMO, to ask:
"Why is this time limit on edits in place?.... and, if benefits outweigh concerns , is there a way to change the policy?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover View Post
It also keeps people from changing posts and making following posts look ridiculous.
I agree with this... within the prescribed current time limit of, I believe, 60 days (correct me if I'm wrong)... any member can still change their post, making this a moot point.

Last edited by mountainhorse; 04-05-2017 at 11:31 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainhorse For This Useful Post:
turbolover (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Currently: Not set.
acgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond reputeacgreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Want to update ad but can't.

After time has expired to update my ad, I would like to make changes in my ad, but can't. This needs to be changed so I can make changes in my ad and maybe help in selling my item.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 AM
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute
Default So "Why is this time limit on the EDIT Feature in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post
Loudhandle,

The time limit on edits was in place before Christopher took over management of the forums.

Suggesting that Christopher somehow implemented the edit time function, however, is Not correct.

You make some good points with your desire to be able to repair bad links, correct spelling etc...

Suggesting changes or airing concerns about the forum here, in a rational way, IS a great way to be heard and as a forum-community, work to make things better for all.

"Why is this time limit on edits in place?.... and, if benefits outweigh concerns , is there a way to change the policy?"

My apologies to Christopher; He has been the administrator for as long as I can remember, so I assumed (probably wrongly) that he was the one who set the time frame on the EDIT Feature.

And yes I likely could have posed the question with less of a bite, but being a passionate sort and feeling strongly as I do about the subject. Tact evaded me at the the time of penning the original post.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to LoudHandle For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (04-07-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 01:28 AM
Currently: on another forum
Basic Member
icr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Loudhandle,

If that's true the limit was significantly longer pre Christopher. I remember it becoming apparent when the site went pay and some long standing members decided to delete their older posts in protest.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Currently: Back to selling.....
TNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond reputeTNTCOPP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Loudhandle,

I agree with this... within the prescribed current time limit of, I believe, 60 days (correct me if I'm wrong)... any member can still change their post, making this a moot point.

I call BS on this .......... I even PM'd Christopher and he tried to tell me it was always in place , BUT , I have always been able to this (edit) up until a couple of months ago. Maybe it wasn't his call - but he is definitely aware of it. It is extremely irritating now as all I really only do on here is swap meet stuff and now I have do contact a moderator every time I want something changed in an ad. PITA

At least open it up to the swap meet area - 30 days only to edit is REDICULOUS !! Makes me start to question my Premium Lifetime membership.

2015 ProClimb 162 LE - Org/Wht - SLP Stage II kit, AC hood panel vents, Mountain Addiction rack, tether

2015 ProClimb 153 LE - Blk/Grn

Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Currently: <<In-House PolarisTechnician not as involved in the shop
Thanked 1,415 Times in 825 Posts
diamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Currently: Not set.
NHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeNHRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-02-2017, 02:22 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 AM
Currently: on another forum
Basic Member
icr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to icr For This Useful Post:
d1100t (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Currently: Looking forward to the first ride on my 2018 M 800 CTEC
d1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register