• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Free Ride 850 165

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
...am I the only one that is excited about this sled? Being a bigger guy, I'm looking forward to the beefier suspension, along with a plusher ride!

...besides weight, anyone see any drawbacks ti the Free Ride over the Summit 850?

Ace

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
...am I the only one that is excited about this sled? Being a bigger guy, I'm looking forward to the beefier suspension, along with a plusher ride!

...besides weight, anyone see any drawbacks ti the Free Ride over the Summit 850?

Ace

The only thing that would hold me back is the wider ski stance of the free ride.. I suppose that can be changed, but then you would need to either shorten the stock free ride shocks or go with different ones. Which basically defeats the purpose of spending more. For myself, if I was to snowcheck a new sled I think I would save as much money as I could upfront by checking an sp, and then add aftermarket shocks valved and sprung for my weight and riding style. Which would most likely give you a better ride than the stock free ride anyway. JMHO

Of course then there is that killer white color scheme... but they do make wraps to copy that if you wanted.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
On the XM chassis
"summit @ 35.5~37.5"
"Freeride @ 38~40" wide

I can tell the difference big-time going from the summit 35" to FR 38" doing a sidehill. more feedback in the handlebars with the FR sled. The skinz post forward mod on a FR helps a lot with lowering the input to countersteering.

I suspect this will follow suit on 2018 FR's

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
On the XM chassis
"summit @ 35.5~37.5"
"Freeride @ 38~40" wide

I can tell the difference big-time going from the summit 35" to FR 38" doing a sidehill. more feedback in the handlebars with the FR sled. The skinz post forward mod on a FR helps a lot with lowering the input to countersteering.

I suspect this will follow suit on 2018 FR's

Well shoot...

Looks like a Summit with Ice Age Bomber Rails with some Elka love from Tom's is in order...

Ace

This new Freeride is said to have 36" spacing.

Okay so Summit XM to Summit G4 the ski stances got smaller.

I am sure the Freeride G4 ski stance will be lesser than the Freeride XM. Could be close to 36 in.

We shall she if it gets the same stance as the Summit G4. People don't seem to have problems jumping the new G4 summit

To Ace Freely, the Freeride stance is wider because it is meant for jumping, landing stability I believe anyways.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I actually think the G4 would benefit from a slightly wider stance... Like 37 centered. I think it would help greatly with balance, and I dont mean on two skis, but on one. Feels like it "flops" over intially and doesnt have a real broad "sweet spot". Its no problem getting used to it within minutes but I do think that by going to a wider stance that you would gain more in balance than you would lose in "flickability". 36" stances also suck when the snow sucks!

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I'm on a 2015 summit x 154. I rode my friends 2014 freeride 146" and without a doubt the summit was much easier to carve and lean over than the freeride. You could feel the difference instantly.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Free ride also only had a 154 track. Depending on where and how you ride that might not be enough.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
I want to know if the new G4 freeride will have additional chassis reinforcements like the xm freeride

Premium Features